Help with monti ID please and thank you.

  • Thread starter Thread starter exnisstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,689
Reaction score
33,640
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store I bought this from said it was a monti but nothing specific. I saw a pic of the colony and it looked like an encrusting type. It's doing well but is starting to grow vertical rather than encrusting so I'm not sure. Just trying to ID it so I'll have a better idea where to place it.
20221107_181222.jpg
 
Digitata and Peltiformis will both grow like this initially. In a few months when it branches could probably make a better determination, My money is on digitata.
 
It's hard to give an ID without looking at the coenosteum and knowing where it came from. Additionally, many montipora species are poorly delimited from each other.
 
+1 Tubbs Stellata. Digitata likely as they encrust AND grow vertically.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new