Help with new Elite 200 sss skimmer

Dolmo5000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I recently purchased and assembled an elite 200 sss skimmer. I can say it is in fact built like a tank which I really like. After getting into my bathtub for its very dilute vinegar run for a few hours (something I do with all new skimmers) I noticed that it isn't producing very many bubbles at all. Far from the bubble making machine I am used to with any skimmer. Am I perhaps missing something or have I forgotten that the skimmer makes far fewer bubbles while in the vinegar bath? It also appears that all of the bubbles generated come up from the bubble plate directly above the pump output, not uniformly around the plate. Any assistance or first hand experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!!

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I recently purchased and assembled an elite 200 sss skimmer. I can say it is in fact built like a tank which I really like. After getting into my bathtub for its very dilute vinegar run for a few hours (something I do with all new skimmers) I noticed that it isn't producing very many bubbles at all. Far from the bubble making machine I am used to with any skimmer. Am I perhaps missing something or have I forgotten that the skimmer makes far fewer bubbles while in the vinegar bath? It also appears that all of the bubbles generated come up from the bubble plate directly above the pump output, not uniformly around the plate. Any assistance or first hand experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!!
Fresh water does not fractionate as well as saltwater does. Once in saltwater you will see a lot more bubbles.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water does not fractionate as well as saltwater does. Once in saltwater you will see a lot more bubbles.

^this

It won't produce the fine bubbles you are used to seeing in fresh water. Put it in saltwater and all will be well

OP
OP
Dolmo5000

Dolmo5000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful!! I was really hoping it was something like this. I've never been let down by reef octo and didn't think I would be this time. Especially after getting the darn thing assembled correctly lolol. Thank you very much for the help!!

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the two stated above saltwater is needed for foam fractionation to take place. That or the addition of dish soap or even a gallon of vinegar should get the skimmer to foam in fresh water but is not suggested. LOL
Many people do not know that the higher the salinity the more air can actually be taken in via venturi and the bubble size can be injected into the water at a much smaller size.

dullyxxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
hello i know its been a couple of years since you bought the Elite 200 SSS i just bought mine there is not much information online, the bubble plate were the pump locks moves around is that normal or am i missing something

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back