Help with Nitrates and Green Hair Algae

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm battling green hair algae in my 14g tank. I started by getting phosphate levels under control and trying to maintaining levels of <0.1. Levels creep every few days, though. It's helping but not completely.

According to my Red Sea test kit, the nitrates are undetectable, which seems unlikely. I'm guess that the algae is consuming the nitrates, and that's why it continues to grow, and the nitrates aren't measurable?

Any advice on to how break that cycle? Or should I really bare down on the phosphates and try maintaining even lower levels? Photo is below.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

IMG_6483.JPG

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While attacking the root cause the issue is always preferable - plenty of people have success with dosing Fluconazole to kill off hair algae. It works very well - but read up on it for your own research to make sure.

I'd say to also go for a big clean up crew but that's some serious coverage you have. I'm not sure you can put enough snails in there!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short of chemical control (ie Vibrant, etc I have never used and cant speak to) then I think it is just a battle that takes time and work to defeat. Much easier if you have a refugium in order to create an "ideal" spot for your nutrient export.

In any case though I would say the best way to eliminate it is combination of manual removal, reduced feedings, and an ideal cuc. Usually a few snails and crabs are not going to be enough to really do it, but a more aggresive cuc like urchins, sea hares, etc can do wonders in getting it under control (again combined with some manual removal)

Paperfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same problem, got it fixed :)

This is what I did:

1 -> Toothbrush to scrape it off.
2 -> Fishnet / syphon the loose algae out.
3-> 20% water change.
4-> Cut your feeding in half for a while / try to pipet feed.
5-> Adjust the lighting (less whites / reds... turn down your light cycle to 6 or 8 hours for a while)

I added Dino X (not only useful to kill off Dino's, also works on hair algae.. might need to dose longer). If you decide to add Dino X: no active carbon / GFO's / no water change during dosing period)

Will take some time tho :)

GL!

OP
OP
J

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for feedback and ideas. I haven't had much success with cuc. I think they just compounded the problem! Thanks.

WCoch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm battling green hair algae in my 14g tank. I started by getting phosphate levels under control and trying to maintaining levels of <0.1. Levels creep every few days, though. It's helping but not completely.

According to my Red Sea test kit, the nitrates are undetectable, which seems unlikely. I'm guess that the algae is consuming the nitrates, and that's why it continues to grow, and the nitrates aren't measurable?

Any advice on to how break that cycle? Or should I really bare down on the phosphates and try maintaining even lower levels? Photo is below.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

IMG_6483.JPG
I’ve tried an assortment of chemical, and biological, remedies and I definitely endorse Reef Flux at this point. The Hanna Phosphate checker is also quiesssential in accurately measure if the levels, particularly bad other kits. Assorted species of urchins have been my favored outlet to hinder any growth and tackle further clean up following the Reef Flux. Media and chemical binders to maintain low phosphate levels following all of these tactics really helps to prevent any comeback of the issue.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think your GHA is consuming all your nitrates? I have GHA in various spots of my tank and my nitrates today were 11.4.

As others mentioned, try adjusting your lights, less water change for a bit. If you have corals you want 5-10 ppm nitrates. Cleaner crew also as previously mentioned

How old is your tank? GHA is part of the ugly phase maturing process also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back