Help with pH in my new tank

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

Would really appreciate your thoughts on my pH.

B384BD0A-79CD-4DAA-978C-6E34025B4204.png
This is my pH over the last few days until now. I first calibrated the Apex probe using Fusion then I recalibrated using Apex local on the 18th. You can see the spike and then steady decline.

The tank is just two weeks old and has finished cycle. Ammonia is zero, nitrates are 75 ppm and Alk is 7.8 dKH. I have confirmed my small apartment has very elevated CO2 and have a scrubber incoming. I do not have an option to pull air from outside.

I expected low pH given the above but 7.4 is lower than I expected and am doubting it is real. I’d hate to purchase a $75 pH pen to compare nor an untrustworthy titration test. I may take it to the LFS to confirm.

What would you do? Thanks!

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a sample to confirm . A scrubber can help . And alk is lower than I would keep it which is between 8.2 - 9 . What is the mag and cal ??? I personally don’t watch or chase ph as if my other parameters are in line and the coral look healthy I’m good . However if your in a small apt and keeping your windows open throughout the day is impossible or not safe then your concern is merited . Please list mag and cal and let us know how adding the scrubber works toward raising . In the mean time try raising your alk and see if that alone doesn’t raise your ph . Do it incrementally over next few days . Start with 8.3 ppm . Good luck :cool:

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you raise the alk in such a new tank with no inhabitants?

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

This is my pH over the last few days until now. I first calibrated the Apex probe using Fusion then I recalibrated using Apex local on the 18th. You can see the spike and then steady decline.

The tank is just two weeks old and has finished cycle. Ammonia is zero, nitrates are 75 ppm and Alk is 7.8 dKH. I have confirmed my small apartment has very elevated CO2 and have a scrubber incoming. I do not have an option to pull air from outside.

I expected low pH given the above but 7.4 is lower than I expected and am doubting it is real. I’d hate to purchase a $75 pH pen to compare nor an untrustworthy titration test. I may take it to the LFS to confirm.

Mine started pretty low but picked up after I was able to get the protein skimmer running. It didn't take long after that.

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

I have a similar issue that you do because of the apartment and lack of fresh oxygen. However my ph doesn't seem to dip beneath 7.6. I most likely will need to get a scrubber but trying a few things out first.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding it . But now I have to ask how new is this tank ? , has it cycled yet ? And are there any inhabitants in this tank ?
It's brand new (2 weeks). It has cycled. It has no inhabitants other than bacteria.

I meant what would you use for adding alk in this scenario. I am going to drip kalk but I have nothing sucking up alkalinity at the moment.

The alkalinity comes from using 100% of LFS saltwater. They seem to run it low on purpose.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was told not to worry about my PH for at least 2 months. with your tank only being 2 weeks old just have to let it have some more time as well.
I think what I've read is don't chase pH unless it's 7.8 or less. However, you may be right to leave it for a bit.

I do have a skimmer going 24/7 by the way.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the two weeks !!! , I wouldn’t worry about ph . But I also wouldn’t think your tank is cycled after two weeks unless you transferred over a already established sump and even then it could take longer than 2 weeks . Be patient and take your time .how are you cycling? , ammonia and bacteria dosing, dead shrimp method etc.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed the two weeks !!! , I wouldn’t worry about ph . But I also wouldn’t think your tank is cycled after two weeks unless you transferred over a already established sump and even then it could take longer than 2 weeks . Be patient and take your time .how are you cycling? , ammonia and bacteria dosing, dead shrimp method etc.
Thanks! Used Dr. Tim's and Fritz Turbo 900 along with fishless cycle. Ammonia is being converted to nitrate within 24 hours. No biodiversity beyond the nitrifying bacteria however.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the alkalinity is 'ok' - I would assume - 1. an error in your apex (unless verified by a second method). 2. You have a closed house with a higher than normal Co2 level. A new tank should still - with a normal alkalinity should not have a pH as low as your swings - so I would guess it's an error in the apex. A pH of 7.5 or so is unheard of - and not something easily solvable - unless there is a problem with your rock, your salt, etc - thats releasing acid. I would carefully after buying new calibration solution - recalibrate your apex - and see how it goes and evaluate your home circulation - and inhabitants

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the alkalinity is 'ok' - I would assume - 1. an error in your apex (unless verified by a second method). 2. You have a closed house with a higher than normal Co2 level. A new tank should still - with a normal alkalinity should not have a pH as low as your swings - so I would guess it's an error in the apex. A pH of 7.5 or so is unheard of - and not something easily solvable - unless there is a problem with your rock, your salt, etc - thats releasing acid. I would carefully after buying new calibration solution - recalibrate your apex - and see how it goes and evaluate your home circulation - and inhabitants
Hey thanks! There is no question one of the variables that is impacting is the high CO2 level in the apartment. I can't do much about it so it is something I need to work around. Even with elevated CO2, I wouldn't think it would get that low. I will be going to check the water at the LFS and purchase new calibration liquid to see.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry about ph right now. It’s not important at two weeks in. Mine did the same thing. Sit back and wait for the tank to mature.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi -

If you haven’t got pH 10 and pH 7 calibration solutions, you can check it with a Borax DIY calibration solution. I’d also be double checking salinity with a properly calibrated tool, if you haven’t already.

OP
OP
MiamiAG

MiamiAG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update and some learnings for beginners out there. Blind faith should be used carefully. Or, Trust but verify.

I used 100% new saltwater from a LFS to start the tank. They are reputable and so I assumed they tested their water and I wouldn’t have to. Besides, a fishless cycle doesn’t really need careful monitoring of parameters so I had time to purchase testing gear.

I ended up taking my water for testing at another LFS yesterday. Turns out the original water was at 1.021 with alkalinity at the lower end of 7.5. Somehow even had some phosphate as it’s at .1 although I did add bacterial supplements and used Ocean Direct sand. Maybe the phosphate came from them?

I did a 10% water change with the second LFS water (1.025) and will use that water for auto top off until I get to 1.025. I prefer 1.026 so will work my way up there.

Of course, my pH is now rising to low, but reasonable levels for a brand new tank. The lesson to learn is to trust but verify. I should have used my refractometer to double check salinity of the original water.

Also, you don’t need to chase pH if it is within a reasonable range. However, it can serve as a warning sign if it’s out of that reasonable range. So, have a method of checking pH.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back