Help with picking a mantis shrimp

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep its on the glass. Would these things work?
And im guessing i can just distribute it all along the sandbed?
8CEABC26-BBC2-4B26-BD2E-EBF7D1369E17.jpeg
Yup that will work just fine, just toss a few handfuls in. Me personally would pick out the shells. I made a mistake tossing a bunch of shells in the first time, than felt bad when it was looking for food over and over again and finding nothing. Also the hermits would hide in the pile of shells as well. Which was unsatisfying, because the mantis would find the hermit later when I was not looking a week later..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my tank dim and I was able to see my mantis all the time. From what I can tell, there eyes are sensitive to light so they don’t like it.

Also there is the possibility of shell rot. But that can also be avoided by keeping up with WC. Good water quality is key.
Will not be using the light much unless necessary then.
Yup that will work just fine, just toss a few handfuls in. Me personally would pick out the shells. I made a mistake tossing a bunch of shells in the first time, than felt bad when it was looking for food over and over again and finding nothing. Also the hermits would hide in the pile of shells as well. Which was unsatisfying, because the mantis would find the hermit later when I was not looking a week later..
Okay i tossed in a good amount (picked out the shells) and added a bit more clean sand just in case it wanted some more.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rubble is perfect! They like to move it around to their liking and pile it up to cover their burrow entrances when molting

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rubble is perfect! They like to move it around to their liking and pile it up to cover their burrow entrances when molting
Used a bunch of the rubble and she seems to be using it!

she (i think she? not 100% sure) came in yesterday night. Same salinity so fast acclamation. The second i held up the bag, punched the bag. Bucket too, punched the bucket so hard the sound made me flinch a bit. the second she went in the tank started punching rocks.

she made her own cave in the sand. Didn't think they were so aggressive right out of the bag. went in the tank and 15 mins later and already coming up to the glass to punch people touching the glass ;Hilarious. at least it shouldn't be too hard to find her. A pic of her this morning:
F1D99FB3-C406-40F7-BDB0-06D026F8C0E4.jpeg

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst hits are on fingernails for some reason… it hurt more on my thumb nail than any other spot on my fingers. I’ve been punched a lot I’m not afraid of it like most people lol

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst hits are on fingernails for some reason… it hurt more on my thumb nail than any other spot on my fingers. I’ve been punched a lot I’m not afraid of it like most people lol
how would you recommend i clean the tank? if i need manual cleaning in the future. because just going up to the tank it is ready to square up ;Blackeye.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer a small piece of food punched between your fingers so he/she can see you’re a friend. Don’t be afraid of getting hit! Some mantises come to realize you’re never a threat and will just inspect your hand with their little grabby claws, realize there’s no food and lose interest. Some even like to sit or lie on hands! If needed, you can always get a pair of arm length sturdy thick gloves to use when you have to put your fingers in. I got a pair from amazon years ago and always rinse them with fresh water and air dry after using them. They have a textured finish on the hands to help with gripping things.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer a small piece of food punched between your fingers so he/she can see you’re a friend. Don’t be afraid of getting hit! Some mantises come to realize you’re never a threat and will just inspect your hand with their little grabby claws, realize there’s no food and lose interest. Some even like to sit or lie on hands! If needed, you can always get a pair of arm length sturdy thick gloves to use when you have to put your fingers in. I got a pair from amazon years ago and always rinse them with fresh water and air dry after using them. They have a textured finish on the hands to help with gripping things.
not brave enough to try it out yet but she did not punch the tweezers and just gently held on to it, actually she hugged the tweezer when the food was gone. Ill try getting some thick gloves for now.

Back