Help with planning stocking

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon Reefers!!

I have been in the hobby for about 5-6 years now. I would say im "mediumly" experienced. Im currently cycling my first "big boy" build. The tank is a 5'x2'x2' 150g display with a 115g basement sump. Tank has a 2.5-3" sandbed that i would love to keep from getting stagnant.

Currently these are fish im considering, im not persay going to add this entire list. Some are locks, some i already have. Any advice on what might not get along and if any of the fish should be introduced in a certain order would be greatly appreciated. I have done as much research as i can on my own on this i think. I dont plan on adding this all at once either, i am concerned about the order to reduce aggresion so i want to have a good plan in place, i intend to stock slowly. Thanks in advance

2 - black clown (already have)
1 - starry blenny (already have)
1 - purple tang (lock)
1 - tang (diff species than ptang) open to suggestions here
1 - hawkfish (flame?)
1 - wrasse (Leopard? / suggestions?)
1 - royal gramma (lock)
2 - bangai cardinals (lock)
2-3 - Anthias (Suggestions? / Lyretail?) Ive heard anthias do better in #'s of 3?
1-2 - Red Mandarin (Mated pair?)
1 - jawfish (suggestions?)
1 - dwarf angel (bicolor / coralbeauty / flame) leaning Bicolor, every flame angel ive seen a friend buy doesnt seem to last long
1 - Marine beta (probably not, family member wants to purchase)
1 - Green Clown Goby (lock)

Last edited:

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 lyretails in a 220 and love having that many.

For dwarf angel, at least consider a Potter's :). I've had mine close to a year now.

Personally, I'd go with more than one wrasse. Maybe a H. chrysus as pest control, and then at least one fairy and flasher. The H. chrysus will sleep in the sand.

I worry that the sand depth isn't enough for the jaw fish, and I've also read they prefer cooler waters. YMMV of course. Maybe a yellow watchman goby instead? You can even pair that up with a pistol shrimp.

Not sure I'd go more than 1 tang but that's just my opinion. Plenty have done so successfully.

Everything else looks great to me, though I know very little about the Beta.
Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters are nice ive seen them in person a couple times. I do like fairy wrasses as well as flasher wrasses. Will the different species of wrasse get along ok? Could i get a leopard AND a flasher/fairy?

No real problem cutting the jawfish ive also read about the cold temps but people say theirs dont seem bothered by it.

ive got a pistol/goby pair already they have their own biocube to themselves. I didnt want the clicking noise since the aquarium is my living room. Pistols downstairs by my desk where a bit of clicking wont bother anyone.

I like the idea of having lyretails as a "schooling fish" how have you found yours interact? Ive read the male is less aggresive when you have 2-3+ females with it.

Think im going to have just the 1 tang, will help with aggresion and allow me to have a bit more numbers on anthias

Last edited:

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 male to 5 females/submales. They're less than a year old, and it does appear I have 2 submales and then 3 true females. I was very worried 4-6 months ago as I thought I would end up with 3 males but the females have seemingly stopped their transitioning.

Yes, the aggressiveness gets spread out. The male tends to try and keep the submales in their place and the submales spend their attention on the 3 remaining females. It's never gone past chasing and it happens periodically, not all the time. I work from home, right next to my tank. All 6 spend plenty of time out together peacefully.

OP
OP
B

Blizzahjh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firmed up the list a bit based on some more reading and some advice here and locally.

Any suggestions on keeping sand nicely stirred/clean with livestock? Ive had a conch before and had good luck with him, i gave him away to an established tank when i had to move because i knew i was changing my sand. I do not think i want to go the route of starfish.

2 - black clown
1 - starry blenny
1 - purple tang (Last fish to be added, possibly before the mandarins)
1 - flame hawk
1 - leopard wrasse
1 - royal gramma
2 - banggai cardinal
5 - lyre tail 1m4f
1-2 - red mandarin (added in a year or so)
1 - potter/bicolor angel
1 - green clown goby

Possible additions:
1 - flasher / faery wrasse
1-2 more lyretails
1 - sandsifter of some sort.

20200107_145214_resized.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back