Help with quarantine

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However you want to group them. Depending on fish you can certainly have more than one fish in a container based on size and compatibility. There's a bit of subjectivity there so hard to say. Maybe others can chime in on their experience there. Any preset heater will do as you're not asking a lot from it as it's small volume and not continuous duty. Once you're done in 14 days it'll sit on a shelf until your next batch. Below is a link to a lame video I made of my setup. It's just one example, there are far simpler and cheaper ways to go. My friend lives in a small apartment and he literally sets up 5 gallon buckets in his kitchen lol but I can't argue his results! This just gives you an idea. I'll be running my first batch through this setup beginning of February to time the end of my fallow period I'm my DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just do a ton of water changes in that case but I think what I will do is pick up 3 totes. Having one at the ready at all times. Then use my spare 75 gallon tank for their final place to live in the meantime. I will always sanitize the 75 gallon. Any tips of sanitizing it?
rinsing with tap water and air drying for a week is perhaps the easiest way to sanitize. bleach (with no dyes or other additives - hard to find!) can be used at 400 ppm, but it is a mess to rinse off. Hydrogen peroxide is easier to work with , but I'm still experimenting with the dose for that...

Jay

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However you want to group them. Depending on fish you can certainly have more than one fish in a container based on size and compatibility. There's a bit of subjectivity there so hard to say. Maybe others can chime in on their experience there. Any preset heater will do as you're not asking a lot from it as it's small volume and not continuous duty. Once you're done in 14 days it'll sit on a shelf until your next batch. Below is a link to a lame video I made of my setup. It's just one example, there are far simpler and cheaper ways to go. My friend lives in a small apartment and he literally sets up 5 gallon buckets in his kitchen lol but I can't argue his results! This just gives you an idea. I'll be running my first batch through this setup beginning of February to time the end of my fallow period I'm my DT.

Hahaha your friend is a master.

I just had a thought, what do you think about me using my 75 gallon as a quarantine tank that's medicated for the tangs and clowns and damsel. Then putting the cleaner wrasse and Mandarin in my spare 20 gallon for TTM that might work and be my cheapest option.

I think my one issue I kind of run into is figuring out the best medication to use. Humble fish has so many on his website

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinsing with tap water and air drying for a week is perhaps the easiest way to sanitize. bleach (with no dyes or other additives - hard to find!) can be used at 400 ppm, but it is a mess to rinse off. Hydrogen peroxide is easier to work with , but I'm still experimenting with the dose for that...

Jay
Fair enough I mean I would just dunk the equipment in hydrogen peroxide then rinse off thoroughly with water or put in a bucket of water since h202 turns into water after I think a couple hours I've heard

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 does not decompose as quickly as has been suggested. I just finished running a test and 25 ppm H2O2 stayed in solution for 48 hours under aeration with no organic loading. 3% household peroxide is 30,000 ppm. One quart of that in a 10 gallons would be 750 ppm. This would kill all protozoans and bacteria, as long as there wasn't any organic material in the tank. Soak for 24 hours then rinse in tap water.

Jay

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha your friend is a master.

I just had a thought, what do you think about me using my 75 gallon as a quarantine tank that's medicated for the tangs and clowns and damsel. Then putting the cleaner wrasse and Mandarin in my spare 20 gallon for TTM that might work and be my cheapest option.

I think my one issue I kind of run into is figuring out the best medication to use. Humble fish has so many on his website
If you're doing TTM I'd have these on hand
16094442213232484017743084603680.jpg

Rally and blue for dips in case you receive a fish with issues, prazi and GC for parasitic problems and prime in case of ammonia challenges.

If you're going to treat for ich/velvet with medications then copper power.
16094443765488353820188972659487.jpg

With TTM 5 gallon buckets are as cheap as it gets and you'll need an observation tank at the end.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're doing TTM I'd have these on hand
16094442213232484017743084603680.jpg

Rally and blue for dips in case you receive a fish with issues, prazi and GC for parasitic problems and prime in case of ammonia challenges.

If you're going to treat for ich/velvet with medications then copper power.
16094443765488353820188972659487.jpg

With TTM 5 gallon buckets are as cheap as it gets and you'll need an observation tank at the end.
Yeah I'll use copper power since from what I can see chloroquine phosphate is actually functionally impossible to get which is frustrating.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, you don't use copper with the TTM method. I apologize if you already knew that!
No apology needed my friend. Correct, I was going to use copper with the tangs clowns and damsel in the 75 and then do TTM with the wrasse and Mandarin in a bucket or small tank.

I was reading humblefishs site and it says to never drop the amount of copper below the therapeutic dose. So how do I perform water changes etc?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apology needed my friend. Correct, I was going to use copper with the tangs clowns and damsel in the 75 and then do TTM with the wrasse and Mandarin in a bucket or small tank.

I was reading humblefishs site and it says to never drop the amount of copper below the therapeutic dose. So how do I perform water changes etc?
Good catch, I had to do water changes during my recent copper treatment. Measure your current tank level (I use the Hanna high range, it's great) and then dose your replacement water to that same level. I'm using a 20 gallon tank and did a 5 gallon change so I filled a bucket with fresh salt water, did the calculation added copper, measured to confirm and then did the change.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch, I had to do water changes during my recent copper treatment. Measure your current tank level (I use the Hanna high range, it's great) and then dose your replacement water to that same level. I'm using a 20 gallon tank and did a 5 gallon change so I filled a bucket with fresh salt water, did the calculation added copper, measured to confirm and then did the change.
Awesome, out of curiosity where can I buy a copper Hanna checker I can't find one online even

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back