Help with RO/DI please!

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I have a 4 stage BRS RODI 75gpd unit. I used it for like 5 months and then when I broke my tank down I just let it sit. It was still hooked up and everything with water still in the first 2 chambers (micron filter and carbon) and the filters look pretty good for sitting for a year. I fired the sucker up and it's not registering any PSI at all for some reason, and the DI resin chamber won't fill up past 1/4. The TDS meter is reading 0 in and 0 out so I'm not sure if I should just run it and it's ok? Or if these could be false readings. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

-Josh

Suicideissleep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would atleast change out the sedi and carbon would beworried about bacteria in the rest or mold. Little strange its reading 0 in and out never heard of tap water so clean lol but def be scared of what lurks were you cant see

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would atleast change out the sedi and carbon would beworried about bacteria in the rest or mold. Little strange its reading 0 in and out never heard of tap water so clean lol but def be scared of what lurks were you cant see

It's always read 0 in and out. But I've never had the Resin chamber not fill completely or the PSI meter not have a reading. Idk if I have to just run it for a while or what. So strange

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about breaking it down and replacing the media?

It depends on the system really, IMO.
If you have little to lose, give it a try and see what happens.
Experience is something to never mess with!
You'll be able to chime in on this question sometime next year when someone asks right?

Anyways, on a serious note I would be concerned about the unit not performing up to par.
Contact the maker and ask them, shoot for the pros bro

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit and the psi meter stopped working after a few months. The di chamber usually doesn't fill all the way up. As long as you are getting water out of the blue pipe and the TDS is reading zero you are good but still it would be a good idea to change the carbon and micron filters since they have set.

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have extras with the unit so I'll definitely swap them out. Gunna give BRS a call just to chat anyway.

A+Aquatics

Rare Coral Curator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same unit and the psi meter stopped working after a few months. The di chamber usually doesn't fill all the way up. As long as you are getting water out of the blue pipe and the TDS is reading zero you are good but still it would be a good idea to change the carbon and micron filters since they have set.

Dang, what unit is it?
Hopefully we can steer clear of it.
Maybe try getting it replaced at cost or something similar?
Is it under any type of warranty?

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will most likely send you a replacement psi meter. I should have contacted them myself but I was lazy LOL

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, what unit is it?
Hopefully we can steer clear of it.
Maybe try getting it replaced at cost or something similar?
Is it under any type of warranty?
It is the BRS 75 GPD unit which works great, but I have heard the PSI meters fail often. Not a huge deal.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this but with the water saver model, did you check the flush valve in the back? could have gotten pushed open and that will drop the psi big time and the tds meter "in" is only reading the water going into you DI chamber and "out" is obviously the end result. maybe try getting a external tds meter and check the water coming out. but it is my understanding the unit itself has a lifetime guarantee so if you tell them the gage is broken they will most likely get one right out to you. there customer service is amazing over there.

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have this but with the water saver model, did you check the flush valve in the back? could have gotten pushed open and that will drop the psi big time and the tds meter "in" is only reading the water going into you DI chamber and "out" is obviously the end result. maybe try getting a external tds meter and check the water coming out. but it is my understanding the unit itself has a lifetime guarantee so if you tell them the gage is broken they will most likely get one right out to you. there customer service is amazing over there.

Good to know about the lifetime guarantee. I know BRS is awesome I just haven't bothered with it. I do use the flush valve and that isn't the issue it is the meter itself.

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the lifetime guarantee. I know BRS is awesome I just haven't bothered with it. I do use the flush valve and that isn't the issue it is the meter itself.

yeah i believe the only parts not under warranty are the filters. i would give them a call. even if for what ever reason that part isnt covered they always want to make it right so they will usually help in some way. if not they sell them separately and they are not really expensive.

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have the flush valve and I checked and it was closed. I've actually never even used the flush cause I don't really see a use for it in my opinion. When the TDS reads high I just change out the filters lol. But I'll doubly check that and the guarantee is great to know I'll give them a call up for sure!

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the flush valve and I checked and it was closed. I've actually never even used the flush cause I don't really see a use for it in my opinion. When the TDS reads high I just change out the filters lol. But I'll doubly check that and the guarantee is great to know I'll give them a call up for sure!

the flush valve is important. if you watch your tds meter when you first start it up they will be very high and the water sitting in your lines has been in there with no circulation/air flow if you dont flush your unit you are just running that stagnit water at this point right into your tank or into your drinking water. kinda of defeats the purpose of it. i dont think the hour they advise is neccesary but i run mine for about 10 minutes with the flush valve open before switching it to make water and i always read 3 in at most and 0-1 out.

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flush valve is important. if you watch your tds meter when you first start it up they will be very high and the water sitting in your lines has been in there with no circulation/air flow if you dont flush your unit you are just running that stagnit water at this point right into your tank or into your drinking water. kinda of defeats the purpose of it. i dont think the hour they advise is neccesary but i run mine for about 10 minutes with the flush valve open before switching it to make water and i always read 3 in at most and 0-1 out.

I always thought the same but I've tested the water multiple times. I run it before I use the water and every time I turn it on its 3ppm before and 0ppm after. Then after about 45 seconds they both drop to 0. I'll start to use the flush valve though to be safe. When I turn that on, all the water will go directly out the drain line is that correct? Or will it still come out of both?

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I've read on other forums from people with this unit (for anyone interested) I guess the DI resin chamber will not fill up and only the bottom half will, because the water runs up through the resin filter and the water outside the filter around it doesn't make a difference as long as it is reading the 0 TDS out. I will be calling BRS myself to confirm but others have said it is normal [emoji106]

Brandon42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I've read on other forums from people with this unit (for anyone interested) I guess the DI resin chamber will not fill up and only the bottom half will, because the water runs up through the resin filter and the water outside the filter around it doesn't make a difference as long as it is reading the 0 TDS out. I will be calling BRS myself to confirm but others have said it is normal [emoji106]

both are true and if it bugs you and this is what BRS will tell you as well you can unscrew the DI chambe just a bit to let the air out and the tank will fill and you screw it back into place when the water reaches the top. and yes most of the water goes out the drain line. you will get a tiny bit out of the end line but not much at all but it will be pumping out the drain line. i do it for 10 min tops just so i know i have fresh water in the chambers.

OP
OP
Saltee_0ct0pus

Saltee_0ct0pus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both are true and if it bugs you and this is what BRS will tell you as well you can unscrew the DI chambe just a bit to let the air out and the tank will fill and you screw it back into place when the water reaches the top. and yes most of the water goes out the drain line. you will get a tiny bit out of the end line but not much at all but it will be pumping out the drain line. i do it for 10 min tops just so i know i have fresh water in the chambers.

Sounds good man! I'll start that from now on to make it safer water to use. Now I'll just hope they will send me a replacement Psi meter. If not I'll just suck it up and have to buy one. Thanks for the info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back