Help with Sailfin Tang Bump

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
My dad has had his sailfin for about 4 years starting from a 2" juv. Always been healthy. Woke up this morning to a huge 1" tumor sticking out of his left side. No new fish additions in the last the last 6 months. Acting and eating fine. Any thoughts??

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any white stringy poop coming out of him?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's really pronounced -- have you seen him poop?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only showed up this morning so haven't seen him poop yet - watching closely though...
Makes me wonder if it's an epic blockage. Try feeding a peeled pea to him.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. We'll try this. Anyone else have success with it? Or know how long till it takes effect?

If it just simple constipation, the fiber contained in the peas will help "push things out".

However, that bump looks a little high up to be in the stomach area, and I doubt a tumor could form so quickly.

So, my best guess is it's actually being caused by an internal infection and food soaked in Kanaplex would be the best way to go: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/

Kanaplex has the added advantage of causing diarrhea as a side effect. ;) Just in case I'm wrong about this being constipation.

Be sure to also use Seachem Focus when food soaking Kanaplex, as that will bind the medication to the food and prevent it from leaching out.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it just simple constipation, the fiber contained in the peas will help "push things out".

However, that bump looks a little high up to be in the stomach area, and I doubt a tumor could form so quickly.

So, my best guess is it's actually being caused by an internal infection and food soaked in Kanaplex would be the best way to go: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/

Kanaplex has the added advantage of causing diarrhea as a side effect. ;) Just in case I'm wrong about this being constipation.

Be sure to also use Seachem Focus when food soaking Kanaplex, as that will bind the medication to the food and prevent it from leaching out.
Thanks for the advice! Is this something I could find at a local pet store or maybe LFS? Or is it typically something you have to order online? Never had to purchase any antibiotics and an internal infection seems rather time sensitive...

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Kanaplex and Focus are typically available at LFS - mine are hit and miss though, as they only stock one at a time before reordering. Its readily available online as well.

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Kanaplex and Focus are typically available at LFS - mine are hit and miss though, as they only stock one at a time before reordering. Its readily available online as well.
Thanks. If this an infection, does anyone have an idea how long before it goes bad?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If this an infection, does anyone have an idea how long before it goes bad?

Often only hours...sometimes days...sometimes never. You just don't know. Personally, I'd want to start as soon as possible. Today, if you can find it locally.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often only hours...sometimes days...sometimes never. You just don't know. Personally, I'd want to start as soon as possible. Today, if you can find it locally.

+1 So many different strains of harmful bacteria can cause infection, both gram positive & gram negative. Some are relatively mild, some can kill within a day or two. o_O

OP
OP
UConnMel

UConnMel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update on this guy. My dad is never one to jump to medicate so he's only been doing the peas every other day or so. Sailfin is still kicking, acting and eating fine and the bump seems to be going down, albeit slowly. Keeping up hope for a full recovery :)

ReefTalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to me it looks like an internal parasite, I'm afraid there's nothing much you can do unless it's something else

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back