help with sump for triton tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to make the new tank a triton tank :) with that in mind I'm going with a smaller tank - one option is the Innovative Marin 50 EXT - this will allow 9x turnover with the pump I have using an herbie style overflow.

unfortunately this stand has an interior dimension of Length 26.87” Width: 19.31” Height: 33.75”

I would like a TRITON20C-v2 – Trigger Systems which has a 9 gallon refugium (max 18% of tank volume), fits my skimmer (7 9/16" x 7 7/8" ) - alas it 0.7" too big

alternative is the TRITON26-v2 which fits and has a 6 gallon refugium (max 12% of tank volume).

Am I going to be disadvantaged with a refugium that is nearing the 10% minimum? Short of going custom are there suggestions on another sump that fits with a larger refugium?

thanks!

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help you. The way i made it work in a reefer 170 was to downsize my skimmer to the tunze 9004 dc. Never felt undersized except that it doesn’t hold a lot of skimmate which can be solved with external collection container. Water height is critical. Solved with 2 custom acrylic panels which some other reefer provided the plans for. 12% is prob ok too id imagine. i think mine is similar volume.

OP
OP
B

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my original post I wasn't very clear - the 20" sumps don't fit the stand by .7" which is a real bummer.

For this build I'm looking to use a fabricated sump, so I'm at the mercy of the available sizes and they don't play well with the IM 50 stand. If there is a sump with a larger refugium that fits the stand a smaller skimmer would be an option.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you dont have to use a manufacturer's sump.
I think Petco 1 a gallon sale started today.
Buy as big a tank that will fit.
You can easily silicone a divider where you need.
As far as the skimmer goes use an external one.
They take up no sump space.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at my original post I wasn't very clear - the 20" sumps don't fit the stand by .7" which is a real bummer.

For this build I'm looking to use a fabricated sump, so I'm at the mercy of the available sizes and they don't play well with the IM 50 stand. If there is a sump with a larger refugium that fits the stand a smaller skimmer would be an option.

The smaller should be fine IMO

OP
OP
B

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to go with a red sea reefer 350 with the crystal reef sump which has plenty of refugium size :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back