Help with tank test results. Pretty confused.

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 40g long. Slightly over 2 months old at this point.

I've had 4 successful tanks in the past, possibly made a rookie mistake with this one. I added Caribsea dry rock, Caribsea sand. LFS water. Added MicroBacter7 first week or so, added CUC, waited about 3-4 weeks, added 2 clowns, lighting. About 3 weeks later, added 3 small blue chromis. Haven't tested the water regularly just because I felt like I had a general idea of how long things would take.

Fish have all been totally fine. However, was debating adding some LPS since I'm getting close to the 3 month point. I tested my water,AFTER a water change, and the following happened. Granted, I only have a ****** API test currently for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate because I rarely test for those on my other tanks.

I don't understand how I could have such high ammonia and almost a negligible amount of nitrate after 2 months.

20230107_174705.jpg

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get LFS to test in the near future but not immediately. Did 2 tests with similar results, no noticeable difference. I know API generally shows ammonia no matter what but I've never seen that dark of green unless it was a fairly new tank

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That API test for ammonia doesn’t make any sense to me.
I use Carbi sea rock always and the sand to, great stuff, love the purple to start.
Other two seem fine to me, but, it’s API, not the best test but will do.
When tests show “weird” results, get a second opinion.

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on all the above about how unreliable API can be. The test isn't expired and I used it in the past just to get tanks started and it seemed to work. But I feel like it's impossible to be over 2 months in, with fish, and still have those results. Makes no sense to me.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a ATI test same as you same reading. No way I have ammonia in the tank and zero everything else. 90 gal w/ refuge 7 small fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_180026151.jpg
    IMG_20230107_180026151.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a ATI test same as you same reading. No way I have ammonia in the tank and zero everything else. 90 gal w/ refuge 7 small fish.
Did it show up as a dark green? I know that it always shows on the low end, a murky yellow color, no matter what. Basically never registers zero ammonia. But I was just concerned that it's SO dark

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you feed the bottled bacteria when you put it in?
Meaning give it an ammonia source? Yeah, I usually do a dead prawn from the deli for a couple days. I've had fish in there for a about a month though and have had zero death or weird behavior. All fish are moving around and seem happy.

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I'm learning from this is that I'll soon be placing a BRS order for some new red Sea testing equipment lol

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours also show no real change in nitrite/nitrate?
I have zero nitrate, nitrite, very low phos. My coral would not be happy. All are fully open and loving life

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be more considering something like a little ammonia bump after you put in the chromis. My experience with the API tests is that they’re reliable, they are just not very high resolution. You definitely have ammonia, but probably just a little.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had an API-style ammonia test reading that I couldn't trust, I'd get an ammonia alert badge and confirm.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is probably still cycling. Add more bacteria and cut back on your lighting a bit or you may have an explosion of unwanted algae. In the old days we would add a bit of macro algae to the display to help the cycle along....I believe it may have something to do with the phosphate needs of nitrosomas and nitrobacter bacteria.

Back