Help with wave maker position

Auxton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I set up a 72g bowfront and currently have one wave maker. What would be the ideal position for this? I currently have it aimed length ways across the tank but want to know if it would work better if I put the wave maker on the back middle and aimed it right at the front of the bow. Let me know what you think.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any one spot is “better”. Just different.
depends on what you are trying to achieve.
mic on the side, you will likely get more overall turnover in the tank but also depends on what structure you have that may be impeding flow.
might want to try a few different spots and see how it goes.
i have 2 Neptune waves that were on either side walls of a 88g DT.
I have since moved both to the back wall and that also seems to work well.

OP
OP
Auxton

Auxton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think any one spot is “better”. Just different.
depends on what you are trying to achieve.
mic on the side, you will likely get more overall turnover in the tank but also depends on what structure you have that may be impeding flow.
might want to try a few different spots and see how it goes.
i have 2 Neptune waves that were on either side walls of a 88g DT.
I have since moved both to the back wall and that also seems to work well.
I guess i was looking at the bow part of it and thinking it might create a better overall flow if i hit the middle and it kinda split. I might just play with th placement to see. Thank you for your input!

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your idea is correct but there are so many variables....include how close to the surface the powerhead is. closer to the surface can increase the laminar flow (like a river) and change the downstream effects quite a bit. again, not necessarily better effects...just different ones.

You may find that you have to reduce the power as flow going from back to front will force the flow towards the bottom when it hits the front and may cause more sand disruption (bare spots) etc.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps this may help, but a thin ribbon on a stick (or similar) stuck into the tank can help you visualize flow patterns with different powerhead positions.

OP
OP
Auxton

Auxton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps this may help, but a thin ribbon on a stick (or similar) stuck into the tank can help you visualize flow patterns with different powerhead positions.
i was using
I have a pump that I put in the sump that allows me to create a lot of micro bubbles and I was using them to see the flow in the tank.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 55 49.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 61 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.1%
Back