Help with which fish to add first...

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two fish I want to add are 1 black cap basslet and 2 or 3 azure damsels to my 40 gallon mixed reef tank. Both fish are said to be semi-aggressive, which fish do you guys think I should put in first?

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two fish I want to add are 1 black cap basslet and 2 or 3 azure damsels to my 40 gallon mixed reef tank. Both fish are said to be semi-aggressive, which fish do you guys think I should put in first?
Basslet first, damsels get territorial

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black cap basslets are labeled as semi aggressive because they shouldn't be kept with other basslets and will go after small inverts. Otherwise they are a pretty shy fish, so I would add the basslet first

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although secretive at first, the black capped basslet can hold its own. I do think in a 40 breeder these fish will do a lot of talking to each other. I would also put the basslet first and let him get settled in.

OP
OP
B

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Go with 1 or 3 azures, not 2!

Thanks! Do you think it would be okay to get 3 different types of Chrysiptera genus damsels? I was thinking 1 yellow tail, 1 azure, and 1 starcki damsel?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Thanks! Do you think it would be okay to get 3 different types of Chrysiptera genus damsels? I was thinking 1 yellow tail, 1 azure, and 1 starcki damsel?
Good question and not sure but doubtful. They would each establish their own territory and most likely wouldn’t tolerate visitors.

3 of the same will interact with each other and ignore other fish

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with 1 or 3 azures, not 2!
This is good advice, although I foolishly put two in a 100g. For the first few weeks, they bickered constantly, but then suddenly they came to an accommodation - This half of the tank is mine, and that half is yours. Except at mealtimes, it's agreed that anyone can go anywhere. I'm not sure it would work in a 40g though.

The blackcap basslet is a fantastic fish. Not so much timid or shy as it just doesn't like the light at first and will prefer to stay in shaded areas, as it's a deepwater fish. Once it gets used to your tank and its light level, it should be out cruising around most of the time, and always when there's food in the water. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back