Help! Woke up and found this!

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning and found my hammer and lobo look like this. What’s on lobo and what happened to the hammer?? It looks like two heads are missing on the hammer (really cleaned).

Salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp 78
Alk 8.81
Cal 425
Mag 1332

my phosphate on the weekend was 0.328 in the weekend and I installed 1/2 cup of GFO in reactor. This morning the phosphate is 0.135 Nitrate was 25.
B1B4323A-F53C-4E7B-86B9-69789943962A.jpeg 29E7EBFB-720B-4139-822D-A9AD07961D88.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are:
Yellow tang
Melanarus wrasse
Royal flasher wrasse
Yellow watchman
Clownfish
Molly miller
Dart fish

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like polyps bail out. I found it in the bottom of the tank. Another one bailed out as I stood there. Now I only have one polyp left. What’s causing this? Everything else look okay. This particular hammer has been in the tank for few months at least.

what should I do? What should I do with the polyps? I put them in a container in the tank for now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pic is fuzzy but I believe this is poriferan sponge which is common and can be invasive
Keep an eye on it
If it gets out of control, you can trim it, remove it or inject with air or vinegar via syringe to stop it in its tracks

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic is fuzzy but I believe this is poriferan sponge which is common and can be invasive
Keep an eye on it
If it gets out of control, you can trim it, remove it or inject with air or vinegar via syringe to stop it in its tracks
Which one that you are referring to?

it is not a sponge. It is polyps bail out. As I tried to move the hammer to the bottom of the tank (maybe too much lights) all the polyps fell off. Now I put all of them in a container and hang it inside the tank. What should I do now?
5BA6F7ED-3AB9-4998-92A5-09E94C52FB4F.jpeg

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So now I have four lose polyps and I am planning to get a container to put them in the tank. If I put them all together, will they stay separate? Or will they at some point grow into one colony? Will they attach to rock rubbles? I found another polyps on a small rock on the bottom of the tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t any help much with your issue, but I did want to say that you should be careful with that container being so close to your lights. If the coral was used to the light level at the bottom of the tank then putting it in that container at the surface will significantly increase the amount of light it’s getting and may stress it out even more.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t any help much with your issue, but I did want to say that you should be careful with that container being so close to your lights. If the coral was used to the light level at the bottom of the tank then putting it in that container at the surface will significantly increase the amount of light it’s getting and may stress it out even more.
You are correct. I will bring it down. I am awaiting my glass cup to arrive from amazon so they are now in the Tupperware temporarily. Thank you

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which one that you are referring to?

it is not a sponge. It is polyps bail out. As I tried to move the hammer to the bottom of the tank (maybe too much lights) all the polyps fell off. Now I put all of them in a container and hang it inside the tank. What should I do now?
5BA6F7ED-3AB9-4998-92A5-09E94C52FB4F.jpeg
If it’s the one on the right- polyp bailout and hate to say, but they don’t reattach and /or survive
Bailout is a sign of stress, high water flow or salinity, lack of nutrients or light too bright
High phosphate and nitrate can be contributors

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. I will bring it down. I am awaiting my glass cup to arrive from amazon so they are now in the Tupperware temporarily. Thank you

I might turn the lights way down while you wait (or off if you can’t turn them down). Even a few hours of bright light like that may be fatal to the already stressed coral.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s the one on the right- polyp bailout and hate to say, but they don’t reattach and /or survive
Bailout is a sign of stress, high water flow or salinity, lack of nutrients or light too bright
High phosphate and nitrate can be contributors
there are some cases where they survive and regrow into colonies.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the lobo,it appears to be damaged in that area, and those are messenterial filaments (the stringy stuff).
That’s part of the hammer polyps that fell down on the lobo and I think the lobo was fighting it. I removed it since then.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back