Can euphyllia live after polyp bailout? .... Absolutely!!

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Octo bailed from its skeleton back in Dec. It has lived happily in this cup since then. Has yet to grow another base though. But here is proof that euphyllias can live on!
20190309_122300.jpg

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is extraordinary. Also would love to hear when and if it develops an exoskeleton. I’d presume if it has survived three months and looks so happy and healthy that it will eventually churn out an exoskeleton base. Nonetheless, this is fascinating and informative to document. Good job and thank you for sharing. We all get to learn from your experiences.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is extraordinary. Also would love to hear when and if it develops an exoskeleton. I’d presume if it has survived three months and looks so happy and healthy that it will eventually churn out an exoskeleton base. Nonetheless, this is fascinating and informative to document. Good job and thank you for sharing. We all get to learn from your experiences.
Thank you!! :)

Tomnmisty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frogspawn bail. I tried moving the polyps to a low flow spot but I lost them. However the skeleton was glued to a rock and I was to lazy to break it free. About 6 months later a new head popped out of the old skeleton. That frogspawn has now produced about 25 heads and is divided into softball or bigger chunks in 3 different tanks.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frogspawn bail. I tried moving the polyps to a low flow spot but I lost them. However the skeleton was glued to a rock and I was to lazy to break it free. About 6 months later a new head popped out of the old skeleton. That frogspawn has now produced about 25 heads and is divided into softball or bigger chunks in 3 different tanks.
Amazing!!

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens and you have proof. Calcium requirements to grow a new exo will be high. Do you have a Cal rector or do you dose? It'll be interesting to see the progress. Great learning opportunity for everyone. Following. :)
I do dose occasionally to keep my cal at 420.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's
That's awesome!! Now I wish I would have saved its skeleton!

reefsponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My orange torch coral that originally succumbed to brown jelly infection a while back. A bit of the flesh from the dying colony fell into a rock crevice and grew into what you see below.
percula torch.jpg

It was able to recalcify a skeleton while in the protection of that rock crevice. It was getting some pretty good light and low flow.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My in-laws we’re watching my aquarium while we were on vacation beginning of Feb. Father in-law knocked the ATO out of the tank and didn’t notice it was pouring all over the floor. Mother in-law called asking why the powerhead was making noise. Water level had dropped quite a bit and it was now above water. My Frogspawn bailed all its polyps and I lost a Montipora. I slowly added RODI to get the salinity back in check. This is the Frogspawn as of a few min ago. I noticed the polyps coming back as of a week ago. Glad I didn’t take it out.
IMG_2308.JPG

Sorry for late night blues!
My orange torch coral that originally succumbed to brown jelly infection a while back. A bit of the flesh from the dying colony fell into a rock crevice and grew into what you see below.
percula torch.jpg

It was able to recalcify a skeleton while in the protection of that rock crevice. It was getting some pretty good light and low flow.
Perfect examples of how life will find away! Thanks for sharing. I will never throw another skeleton away.

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a Frogspawn back in 2010 or earlier that died except for one head. It’s been in our backup/emergency tank in the garage ever since. This year I noticed about 4 baby Frogspawn growing in the cave areas of the skeleton. So never throw away a skeleton. It might take years but life finds a way.

D6005E13-A753-4336-B4AC-09F79C931CC0.jpeg

983A069E-86FC-42DA-94B1-EAE7C520F222.jpeg

D34BC440-9003-4996-96E4-3952DE1B7900.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.1%
Back