Can euphyllia live after polyp bailout? .... Absolutely!!

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a Frogspawn back in 2010 or earlier that died except for one head. It’s been in our backup/emergency tank in the garage ever since. This year I noticed about 4 baby Frogspawn growing in the cave areas of the skeleton. So never throw away a skeleton. It might take years but life finds a way.

D6005E13-A753-4336-B4AC-09F79C931CC0.jpeg

983A069E-86FC-42DA-94B1-EAE7C520F222.jpeg

D34BC440-9003-4996-96E4-3952DE1B7900.jpeg
That is SO awesome!!! I've never seen baby heads like that. I've only seen heads splitting. Thanks for sharing!

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a Frogspawn back in 2010 or earlier that died except for one head. It’s been in our backup/emergency tank in the garage ever since. This year I noticed about 4 baby Frogspawn growing in the cave areas of the skeleton. So never throw away a skeleton. It might take years but life finds a way.

D6005E13-A753-4336-B4AC-09F79C931CC0.jpeg

983A069E-86FC-42DA-94B1-EAE7C520F222.jpeg

D34BC440-9003-4996-96E4-3952DE1B7900.jpeg

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen. Gives me some hope for the deteriorating reefs in our ocean.

ramona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange torch coral that originally succumbed to brown jelly infection a while back. A bit of the flesh from the dying colony fell into a rock crevice and grew into what you see below.
percula torch.jpg

It was able to recalcify a skeleton while in the protection of that rock crevice. It was getting some pretty good light and low flow.
That's awesome. How long did it take?

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My in-laws we’re watching my aquarium while we were on vacation beginning of Feb. Father in-law knocked the ATO out of the tank and didn’t notice it was pouring all over the floor. Mother in-law called asking why the powerhead was making noise. Water level had dropped quite a bit and it was now above water. My Frogspawn bailed all its polyps and I lost a Montipora. I slowly added RODI to get the salinity back in check. This is the Frogspawn as of a few min ago. I noticed the polyps coming back as of a week ago. Glad I didn’t take it out.
IMG_2308.JPG

Sorry for late night blues!
I was chatting via email with a local (~70 miles north of Perth Western Australia) coral farm owner (Oceanarium) and he confirmed how resilient these wonders of life are. My son runs the Ningaloo Reef Dive centre up in Coral Bay (800 miles north of Perth) and he sees corals considered dead (tidal pools dry, bleaching etc) come back to life - at times a different colour than original. Considering the abuse many of my frags have been through, and I don't know if I'm the only guilty party who stupidly dropped corals top 1st into substrate, fish persistently knocking them out of their claimed space by chipping away below the reef epoxy, having a reef collapse while making space for another, breaking a delicate birdsnest and worse while fragging, etc., ad infinitum, they ultimately survive it all if they're just left alone long enough with good water params. I learned the hard (and expensive) way to never say die.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This actually happened to me - My frogspawn had 2 polyps bail. One landed next to the existing mother and has started developing a new skeleton. The other polyp was a weird bail out. It was in the process of splitting when it bailed? That's the best way I can describe it, so I had a splitting polyp hang onto a healthy polyp for 7 or so months. It actually finally fell off a couple days ago and to my pleasant surprise, it too had developed a skeleton.

I'll take some pictures.

The bailout started when I let go of my tank parameters while setting up and cycling my new tank. During that time, I literally did nothing but top off my ATO for several months in the existing tank. I had a hammer bailout as well, but I lost that one.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I would think it has a much higher chance of reforming a skeleton if it is attached to or touching live rock then in that cup. Not sure how you would secure bare flesh onto live rock without stressing/killing it though....

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, I would think it has a much higher chance of reforming a skeleton if it is attached to or touching live rock then in that cup. Not sure how you would secure bare flesh onto live rock without stressing/killing it though....
I had some acans bailout recently. The polyps still looked great but glung them to a rock didnt work. The just slimed up and floated awau lol. I saved them and have then in a cup similar to the OP. Fingers crossed.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that did bail and I saved it from the wrath of the mp10 and it lived in a fishnet for three months. Last weekend I spent about an hour and built a box from egg crate and screen top mesh to house it in with rubble. It escaped and got churned this time :(
Never started to grow a skeleton and skeleton has not grown heads but had been covered with coraline algae. Will make a good base for another coral though

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back