Help

chrspher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am have a lot of trouble figuring out why I can't get rid on nitrates and pospates, I have done many water changes once even draining the tank and starting over still no luck anyone ever heard of your sand holding nitrates? I have soaked the live rock for 3 months changed all the water nothing in the tank for 3 months they just want drop last resort is to remove all the sand any ideas? in closed is a pic of the tank not a very good one

20240221_175955.jpg

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you nitrate and phosphate levels and what test kits are you using?

What filtration do you have?

How did the values get to their current (too high) level? Did they creep up slowly over many weeks or did you have a tank crash and now everything is out of whack?

OP
OP
chrspher

chrspher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you nitrate and phosphate levels and what test kits are you using?

What filtration do you have?

How did the values get to their current (too high) level? Did they creep up slowly over many weeks or did you have a tank crash and now everything is out of whack?
Api test kit,my kit say's there 0 but the lfs uses a test strip and the off the chart have a full sump
Had a tank crash everything died off can't seem to get levels back in check add to damsels and two turbos they seem fine

Attachments

• 20240221_182025.jpg
    20240221_182025.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240221_182016.jpg
    20240221_182016.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 22

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't(can't) see a nutrient issue in tank pic.. how confident are you in the test results? What problem are you trying to fix?

OP
OP
chrspher

chrspher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not confident in the results,If the nitrates where as High as they say seems nothing would live,I'm trying to fix it to where I can restock don't want to drop a load of money and the results be right so I guess I'm trying to fix the nitrate issue

OP
OP
chrspher

chrspher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not confident in the results,If the nitrates where as High as they say seems nothing would live,I'm trying to fix it to where I can restock don't want to drop a load of money and the results be right so I guess I'm trying to fix the nitrate issue
Try to get some better pics just not sure what needs to be seen to resolve this issue

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet your API test is right so your nitrate is at (or near) zero. This would make sense for the amount of water change and stuff you've been doing too (unless you left all the dead fish in there I suppose)

If you need a way to tell which test is really right you could get a salifert nitrate test kit as a double check. They're usually around $15-20 and give better accuracy near the low end (0 to 5).

OP
OP
chrspher

chrspher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet your API test is right so your nitrate is at (or near) zero. This would make sense for the amount of water change and stuff you've been doing too (unless you left all the dead fish in there I suppose)

If you need a way to tell which test is really right you could get a salifert nitrate test kit as a double check. They're usually around $15-20 and give better accuracy near the low end (0 to 5).
Thank you very much that puts my mine at a little more easy knowing I am doing something right I get the test and go from there I greatly thank you for your time

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back