Help

50gTallnewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my 50g tall tank cycling for 8 months i recently purchased a frogspawn and flower pot coral they were doing awesome for about 4 days now dont want to open what could cause this
ab84d6660e35f319d0e4a258120efdd7.jpg
3ca8332371a5c97e0846398414fcceec.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the flower pot coral, but as for the hammer, I know that they don't like a whole lot of flow. Just enough to make them wave at you. That might be one thing to look at. Another thing might be to move them lower in the tank and slowly move them higher to acclimate them to your light. It's possible they would have been doing okay for the first couple days until the zooxanthellae began to over run the coral tissue causing them to close up to reduce photosynthesis.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it! I hope they continue to improve.

Also, welcome to the site, and remember, to take it slow and steady. I like to research all my buys before hand and try to poke holes in my plan for their survival in my tank.

Happy reefing!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a lot on corraline or alge or detritus in there for being up for 8 months.

You'll want a bacteria like dr Tims one and only and feed the tank. Check your nitrates (no3 ) and phosphates (po4). Don't drain your frozen foods use the wet stuff too. It feeds the bacteria you want on the corals and provide dissolved organics to both corals. You may need to spot feed both of them.

You probably want both of those on the sand to acclimate to your lights. It'll also help if the rock is new and is still buffering the ph. The sand is cured better than the rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back