help

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiya, I have a tang with ich that isn't doing very well. I have ordered him stuff online to treat him but I dont know if he will make it in time. The only thing our pet shop has is this ? is it suitable for fish only saltwater tank ? I will set up a separate tank for him.
20191119_125631.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled it and although I couldn't figure out what it is made of my guess is that it will be 100% ineffective. It appears to be for freshwater use, and in any case, most "medications" like that just plain don't work.

You can try a temperature matched freshwater dip to at least knock most of the cysts off, but IMHO, the only real treatments are, from least to most effective, Hyposalinity (difficult to manage and must be done it a QT, Copper (dosage strong enough to kill the Ich parasite can be very hard on fish as well, and once again must be done in a QT, and Tank Transfer Method (also need a couple tanks or even buckets with heaters and power heads)

If one fish on your system has Ich, THEY ALL HAVE IT and must be treated appropriately.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with above. That product will have no effect on saltwater fish and probably freshwater fish. ALL fish need to be pulled from tank and QTed with Copper power at 2.0 checked with Hanna copper checker. QTed for 14 days then to a sterile tank for observation. Leave main display fishless for 76 days.

OP
OP
kaylshouse15

kaylshouse15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled it and although I couldn't figure out what it is made of my guess is that it will be 100% ineffective. It appears to be for freshwater use, and in any case, most "medications" like that just plain don't work.

You can try a temperature matched freshwater dip to at least knock most of the cysts off, but IMHO, the only real treatments are, from least to most effective, Hyposalinity (difficult to manage and must be done it a QT, Copper (dosage strong enough to kill the Ich parasite can be very hard on fish as well, and once again must be done in a QT, and Tank Transfer Method (also need a couple tanks or even buckets with heaters and power heads)

If one fish on your system has Ich, THEY ALL HAVE IT and must be treated appropriately.
thank you, will be setting up a spare tank and waiting for a copper treatment in the post, fingers crossed it will come in time. I have an eel in my main tank which I dont know if I can catch ? Will it be ok left in ? he is fairly new to my tank.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reread my post. Especially the last line.

Treated just the one fish with obvious signs will do nothing for the tank and as soon as you return it to the DT it will become reinfested. All fish must be treated. Ideally in a hospital tank, with the DT remaining fallow (fishless) for a minimum of 72 days regardless of treatment method.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Anti White Spot. Cures White Spot Disease". There is more than one disease where white spots are present.

Are you sure it's Ich?

I've had success with fresh water dips and hypo salinity.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back