Help!!

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had posted earlier about my two clown fish that were sick and looked like they were dying one of them was tore up I don’t know what from I know it wasn’t aggression because the both of them wouldn’t have been sick anyways the one that was beat up died and the other one is still alive but barely and this fish had no marks on him from a fight or anything he was perfectly fine and now he’s turning white and his fins are rotting this is in a matter of 2 1/2 hours half of his tail is gone what the heck is going on in my tank I’m freaking out the poor thing is struggling to stay afloat because his fins are deterioratingCan someone please help me

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fits the description of brooklynella.
Formalin based treatmment needed. For instant relief, freshwater bath and then daily formailin baths. FormALIN IS 37% FORMALDEHYDE AND BEST PRODUCTS ARE GENERAL CURE AND RUBY RALLY PRO.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the pictures in the other thread - that sure looked like aggression/physical damage. If you have ruled that out completely, in theory there are aggressive bacterial infections that can cause rapid fin loss, but I rarely see that in marine fish. Are the fish breathing rapidly? That indicates a more systemic bacterial infection. The pics I saw just didn't look like Brooklynella to me, but making a positive ID from a description or photo is always risky.

If it IS a bacterial problem, a good broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic would be warranted. That has to be dosed in a quarantine tank. Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 would be possible choices. Here is the sticking point: antibiotics take 3 days or more to start to work. Since one fish has already died, it is unlikely that the other will survive long enough for the treatment to work...sorry, but I don't want to give you false hope.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back