Help!!!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll cut to the chase

I have about 100 pounds of very mature rock that has been curing in my garage for nearly 2 years. Flourishing. Zero pests. Tons of life. Goal is to use it on a new tank to be acro dominant. Tank slated for setup in 2 months.

I accidentally spilled about 5-10 small granules or Muriate of Potash into the tank just now while cleaning up the garage. They are unrecoverable. Did I just nuke the tank. It is primarily a potassium supplement, but I know nothing of its other contents. Ingredients just say

“Soluble potash K2O, derived from muriate of potash”

They’re little red granules about the size of peppercorns. I don’t intend to use any of this water. But should I be concerned? Water volume is 40 Gallons. Thanks!

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not Randy, but I wouldn't be concerned. It should be mostly (all?) potassium chloride for use as fertilizer.

You could, of course, change the water...but I'm sure you thought of that. 5-10 granules make me worry even less.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an afterthought, have you been feeding the bacterial populations these past few years?

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an afterthought, have you been feeding the bacterial populations these past few years?

Yes I dosed a ton of Prodibio and mb7 early on, as well as seeding with mature siporax and pond matrix from my display, I used about 100 pounds of dry but dirty rock. I’ve been feeding it roughly 1/4 what I feed my current display every week in pellet food, and I have an algae turf scrubber churning out 2-3 compressed cups of turf every 2-3 weeks. PO4 tests between undetectable and 0.03 typically. I’ve never changed the water. There are more sponges and feather dusters growing in here than in my present display. It’s been well cared for. I was mortified I may have just destroyed it

We are having a house built and setting up a new tank. Did such a lengthy rock cure to hopefully shorten the annoying 1-2 year wait before sps will thrive

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I dosed a ton of Prodibio and mb7 early on, as well as seeding with mature siporax and pond matrix from my display, I used about 100 pounds of dry but dirty rock. I’ve been feeding it roughly 1/4 what I feed my current display every week in pellet food, and I have an algae turf scrubber churning out 2-3 compressed cups of turf every 2-3 weeks. PO4 tests between undetectable and 0.03 typically. I’ve never changed the water. There are more sponges and feather dusters growing in here than in my present display. It’s been well cared for. I was mortified I may have just destroyed it

We are having a house built and setting up a new tank. Did such a lengthy rock cure to hopefully shorten the annoying 1-2 year wait before sps will thrive
NICE!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back