Heniochus not eating

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Heniochus butterfly for about 5 months now. he used to eat like a pig but now shows no interest in food, and I've tried them all. I also lost a Lemon Peel Angel 3 weeks ago. He stopped eating and died about 6 days later. My water parameters are good. NH3/4=0, Nitrites =0, Nitrates=15, PH=8.1, Temp=78.1 and SG=1.023. It's a 110 Gal tank, with plenty of live rock. Up and running for 14 months. No obvious signs of disease on any fish including the lemon peel and the Heniochus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Heniochus butterfly for about 5 months now. he used to eat like a pig but now shows no interest in food, and I've tried them all. I also lost a Lemon Peel Angel 3 weeks ago. He stopped eating and died about 6 days later. My water parameters are good. NH3/4=0, Nitrites =0, Nitrates=15, PH=8.1, Temp=78.1 and SG=1.023. It's a 110 Gal tank, with plenty of live rock. Up and running for 14 months. No obvious signs of disease on any fish including the lemon peel and the Heniochus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
There are a few lesser known diseases that will cause a fish to stop eating and not show ANY other symptoms. However, it rarely happens to multiple fish. Without a secondary symptom, I can't tell you what it might be.

What other fish are in the tank with the heni?
Can you post a short video?\\

Here is an article on anorexia in fish that I wrote:

Jay

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish are Pakistani angel, bi-color blenny, maroon clown, 3 green chromis, valentini puffer, tellow watchman goby, hermits crabs and two emerald crabs. No aggression in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish are Pakistani angel, bi-color blenny, maroon clown, 3 green chromis, valentini puffer, tellow watchman goby, hermits crabs and two emerald crabs. No aggression in the tank.
The Pakistani butterfly is in the same family as the heni, so if there was an infectious external problem like flukes, I’d think both would be affected.
No rapid breathing? Without a second symptom there just isn’t anything to go on.
Jay

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pakistani butterfly is in the same family as the heni, so if there was an infectious external problem like flukes, I’d think both would be affected.
No rapid breathing? Without a second symptom there just isn’t anything to go on.
Jay
The Paikstani is eating very well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Paikstani is eating very well.
Well, in the absence of any other symptoms, the only thing I can suggest is to try a 5 minute FW dip and see if that offers any relief. I doubt that will help, but it is the easiest thing to do. If it doesn't work, then at least you've ruled out external parasites.....

Jay

OP
OP
Keywest99

Keywest99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in the absence of any other symptoms, the only thing I can suggest is to try a 5 minute FW dip and see if that offers any relief. I doubt that will help, but it is the easiest thing to do. If it doesn't work, then at least you've ruled out external parasites.....

Jay
Thanks Jay I appreciate the help. Will try FW dip, I figure I've got nothing to lose.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back