Heniocus with cloudy eyes

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys-

Got a heniocus with cloudy eyes. This literally just happened in the last few days. I’ve had him in my 55g QT in copper for the last 3 weeks. He’s been active, eating like a pig then out of nowhere he gets cloudy eyes and won’t eat or move. I’m assuming this is a bacterial infection which is why I added furan 2, metro and kanaplex in there yesterday. Anything else I should be doing?

E4727108-46F8-4970-8453-672FF5EF973B.jpeg

A0F8CE10-2F35-4CF3-B3E7-BBF0533DADBF.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else I should be doing?

After 10-14 days of therapeutic strength copper (very important), transfer him to another QT at least 10 feet away. Reuse nothing for this second QT to avoid cross contamination. The presence of copper is just suppressing his immune system at this point, which isn't helping with the infection.

En route to QT#2 give him a 90 min acriflavine bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

Once in QT#2, switch over to using erythromycin (Maracyn) and minocycline (Maracyn 2 - if you can find it.) Those are better antibiotics for eye infections, especially the erythromycin.

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10-14 days of therapeutic strength copper (very important), transfer him to another QT at least 10 feet away. Reuse nothing for this second QT to avoid cross contamination. The presence of copper is just suppressing his immune system at this point, which isn't helping with the infection.

En route to QT#2 give him a 90 min acriflavine bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

Once in QT#2, switch over to using erythromycin (Maracyn) and minocycline (Maracyn 2 - if you can find it.) Those are better antibiotics for eye infections, especially the erythromycin.
Thanks for the reply Humble. Is it possible for him to last another 7 days without eating, will he get better with the current antibiotics I have in the QT? Should I transfer him now and restart copper when the infection subsides?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply Humble. Is it possible for him to last another 7 days without eating, will he get better with the current antibiotics I have in the QT? Should I transfer him now and restart copper when the infection subsides?

If he was eating good before, he should be able to last a week or two without food.

The problem with dosing antibiotics in conjunction with copper is explained here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.315/

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read Humble...the QT just got to therapeutic levels this past Wednesday so Ill wait the 10 days then transfer to another tank. Since you posted this write up it made me think why we even do 30days of copper. If all we need is 10days at therapeutic copper levels to be ich and velvet free then do the transfer why is this not standard? Seems easier to me than worrying if Ive stayed at therapeutic levels for 30days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all we need is 10days at therapeutic copper levels to be ich and velvet free then do the transfer why is this not standard? Seems easier to me than worrying if Ive stayed at therapeutic levels for 30days.

The downside is 10 days and then transfer allows no margin for error.

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok @Humblefish, the eyes on the heniocus are almost 100% better, still a little cloudy/enlarged, but down tremendously from what they were when this all started. Today I added the last round of antibiotics, should I still transfer him to another QT and start erythromycin or continue with another round of metro/kanaplex/furan2? FWIW his appetite has improved and he has begun to eat again which is always positive....

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Cment If he's looking better with metro/Kanaplex/furan2, stay the course with that combo! :)
Thanks Humble...obviously you never want to end antibiotics too soon so should I do another 10 days?

OP
OP
Cment

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, yes. But for no longer than that.
Ok Humble, just finished up the second round of antibiotics and unfortunately the heniocus still has one eye that looks puffy. How should I proceed, go with erythromycin? FWIW, hes eating like a pig again...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Humble, just finished up the second round of antibiotics and unfortunately the heniocus still has one eye that looks puffy. How should I proceed, go with erythromycin? FWIW, hes eating like a pig again...
I’m not humble but I would proceed with erythromycin

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back