Herbie conversion supply list with pump?

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to anything bigger than a nano. In setting up my 75 gallon, 48 inch tank with a 30 gallon sump and Durso system for water flow there is no way I am going to move that thing into our family room given the amount of noise coming out of the sump. My goal is totally quiet. (Reef tank)

Upon researching for about 3 days in an effort to stick with the existing solution it appears it will never be quiet and I should convert to a Herbie solution. If I am understanding this incorrectly and someone has a magic solution to getting a Durso solution totally quiet, let me know.

With that in mind, appears I am stuck either drilling an additional hole or going with a wrap around return jet hanging on the back of the tank. I am going for the wrap around solution given I don't even know if I can drill my tank, not sure I want to pay even more $$$ for this set up, and appears the wrap around gives me some additional flexibility.

With that in mind, I have read, and read, and read in an effort to find a solution that will work for my set up. Lots of information, but nothing for my application.

Looking for advice on how I should set this up. I am probably going to buy a new pump, my existing pump is noisier than I want and pretty much bottom shelf. What pump should I get? Should I go with just 1 return, or maybe 2 or more jets across the back and T them off the pump? What jets should I go with? Is there a package system available?

Yes price is an object. Looking for max quiet/value ratio. Wondering if I will need to adjust the flow rate?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to anything bigger than a nano. In setting up my 75 gallon, 48 inch tank with a 30 gallon sump and Durso system for water flow there is no way I am going to move that thing into our family room given the amount of noise coming out of the sump. My goal is totally quiet. (Reef tank)

Upon researching for about 3 days in an effort to stick with the existing solution it appears it will never be quiet and I should convert to a Herbie solution. If I am understanding this incorrectly and someone has a magic solution to getting a Durso solution totally quiet, let me know.

With that in mind, appears I am stuck either drilling an additional hole or going with a wrap around return jet hanging on the back of the tank. I am going for the wrap around solution given I don't even know if I can drill my tank, not sure I want to pay even more $$$ for this set up, and appears the wrap around gives me some additional flexibility.

With that in mind, I have read, and read, and read in an effort to find a solution that will work for my set up. Lots of information, but nothing for my application.

Looking for advice on how I should set this up. I am probably going to buy a new pump, my existing pump is noisier than I want and pretty much bottom shelf. What pump should I get? Should I go with just 1 return, or maybe 2 or more jets across the back and T them off the pump? What jets should I go with? Is there a package system available?

Yes price is an object. Looking for max quiet/value ratio. Wondering if I will need to adjust the flow rate?
I would go with a single return. BRS has some nice options when it comes to plumbing parts.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/loc-line.html
You can either go with a prefab or make one yourself out of PVC. Personally, I would make my own but there are options out there.

The more flow you have the nosier your sump and drains will be. I would shoot for 3x to 5x tank turn over or 225gph to 375gph. You will want constant flow to keep the drains quiet but DC pumps are quieter than AC pumps.

Durso's can be quiet after a week or two but they are a bit of a pain to get set up correctly.

I don't have much of a recommendation on the pump. I like AC return pumps despite their noise for reliability reasons.

OP
OP
R

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a single return. BRS has some nice options when it comes to plumbing parts.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/loc-line.html
You can either go with a prefab or make one yourself out of PVC. Personally, I would make my own but there are options out there.

The more flow you have the nosier your sump and drains will be. I would shoot for 3x to 5x tank turn over or 225gph to 375gph. You will want constant flow to keep the drains quiet but DC pumps are quieter than AC pumps.

Durso's can be quiet after a week or two but they are a bit of a pain to get set up correctly.

I don't have much of a recommendation on the pump. I like AC return pumps despite their noise for reliability reasons.

This is helpful. I was wondering how little flow I could get away with knowing less would be quieter and figured I would add current inside the tank.

By saying dursos can be quiet after a week or so, and knowing quiet is a relative term, do you mean totally quiet, or quieter?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is helpful. I was wondering how little flow I could get away with knowing less would be quieter and figured I would add current inside the tank.

By saying dursos can be quiet after a week or so, and knowing quiet is a relative term, do you mean totally quiet, or quieter?
A reef tank will never be totally quiet. My Durso's were quieter than the bubbling from my skimmer when they were set correctly. But, that took way more work than I was willing to keep doing so I went with a Bean Animal drain on my upgrade. It's not that the Herbie or BA drains are that much quieter, but they are much easier to get and keep them quiet.

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have been fighting a one hole drain(on each side) for almost a year and it’s still too loud. I’ve built Gurgle Buster drains to replace the Durso’s and they didn’t help much. I’m also considering switching over to a Herbie setup but was just planning to make PVC fittings to go over the top but I think I’m just going to bring it over in the overflow box and hook on to the existing return setup, which should hold the plumbing in place.

I use Reef Octopus Varios pump, I have the Varios 8, but my sump is in the basement and the tank is a 180. I would look at the Varios 2 in your situation as the 8 is quiet plus they have 5 different speeds so you can select the speed that works for your setup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back