Herbie drain and a trigger sump question

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on a Herbie drain the main drain pipe is supposed to be 1" below the water, but on my trigger sump the drain pipe goes into a bulkhead and then there is a pipe under the bulkhead that goes tot he bottom of the sump. Then the water flows back up and into the filter socks.

So I am trying to figure out why my tank is gurgling and I am thinking that has something to do with it?

Am I correct or is it something else that is causing the gurgling?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the siphon ends too far under water in the sump, then it can have trouble purging out the air when the system starts up. So, yes that could be a problem.

"Gurgling" makes me think that too much water is going down the trickle/emergency drain. So that could be a problem too. That is solved by getting more flow to go down the siphon by opening up the gate valve more, assuming the system is set up properly.

Another possible cause for noise would be water coming over the top of the overflow weir, but that shouldn't sound like a "gurgle."

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your return pump running, can you give us a pic of the overflow (Herbie drain) and a pic of the sump where the drain dumps into sump? I'm interested to see how the water is flowing into the Herbie and if there are bubbles in the sump.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it also be the water going into the socks? Triggers do come with a "silencer" plate to go over the two sock openings. OP - which Trigger Sump do you have? Are you using the plate?

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it also be the water going into the socks? Triggers do come with a "silencer" plate to go over the two sock openings. OP - which Trigger Sump do you have? Are you using the plate?
trigger sapphire

And the gurgling is coming from the over flow. It will be running fine and then it gurgles.

I dont have any water coming down the e-drain, so I think its either the sump drain pipe or is it lack of return or too much return?

I can try to get a picture of the drain its hard to get back there where the tank is.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the noise isn’t in the sump except when it “burps”

Attachments

• CBB7CB8B-0560-4D2B-8E7A-DEBBD2317145.jpeg
    CBB7CB8B-0560-4D2B-8E7A-DEBBD2317145.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 57

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the noise isn’t in the sump except when it “burps”
That pic solves it.

You need to close off that main drain until he water level is right at the emergency/trickle pipe. The way you have it now, the "siphon" isn't siphoning, so it's sucking in air along with the water and gurgling.

OP
OP
riche

riche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic solves it.

You need to close off that main drain until he water level is right at the emergency/trickle pipe. The way you have it now, the "siphon" isn't siphoning, so it's sucking in air along with the water and gurgling.
Thanks a ton, that was the issue. Its silent now. Going to start scapeing it here soon. Now I can watch TV at night and not hear it lol

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic solves it.

Correct. When dialed in correctly you should have a slight (noiseless) trick/e going into the emergency overflow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back