Herbie help for dual overflows

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to silence a 250 reef ready with 2 corner overflows. Currently running a durso and return in each overflow. Wondering if I can convert one overflow to a Herbie overflow with return . Thinking the other overflow (durso,) could act as the emergency drain should the Herbie fail. Any issues with doing this?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to silence a 250 reef ready with 2 corner overflows. Currently running a durso and return in each overflow. Wondering if I can convert one overflow to a Herbie overflow with return . Thinking the other overflow (durso,) could act as the emergency drain should the Herbie fail. Any issues with doing this?
The Herbie isn't going to fail and it's design has a backup emergency drain line in case it does. Keeping one overflow as a durso is still going to give you the noise that you wish to resolve.

I believe there are some who have experience running two herbie overflows...i only use one, so unsure of advice to setup two of them. Let's see if any other #reefsquad members have done this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and looking to run the Herbie without the emergency overflow. And my noise isn't bad now, so if I cut it in half would be great.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, and looking to run the Herbie without the emergency overflow. And my noise isn't bad now, so if I cut it in half would be great.

You need the emergency drain line with a Herbie overflow. The emergency line doesn't just cover in case you have a blockage in your full siphon drain, it is also useful for dialing in your siphon line. You want a small "trickle" of water going through the emergency line at all times with the Herbie system.

Possible Options:

1. Run 2 Herbie systems in each overflow with an over the rim return line.
2. Run 1 Herbie system in one overflow while turning your other overflow into a return line only (capping the second bulkhead in that overflow).

Either of these two options will give you a dead quiet overflow system.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to be worried about stagnant water in the return line chamber?

Hmmm...you would get stagnant water in the overflow if running only a return line. I think the 2 Herbie design would be more practical with an over the rim return line. I would hope a few others with 2 herbie designs would jump in on this thread for a little more guidance. I converted my one durso system over to a Herbie and used an over the rim return line...which isn't noticeable at all (painted it black).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, stagnant water is somewhat of a concern. You can poke a hole in the return to give a little flow, or add a powerhead. Or you can completely decommission one of the corner overflows.

I have a 125 "reef ready" that I converted to dual Herbie...it is the way to go, unless you want to take the overflows out and do more drilling.

OP
OP
T

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to avoid an over the top return. Maybe switch over to just one return. Would a durso and return in one overflow and a Herbie and emergency drain in the other work,?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but most likely the Herbie side will be quiet while the durso side is as loud as it currently is, unless you go with low flow.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at the guidance here:

You're describing Option 3. I would not recommend keeping an 'active' durso on the 4th hole. If your goal is to silence the overflows while keeping the return inside the tank, then 'capping' the hole or having a second emergency stand-pipe would be a better approach. One of the benefits of the herbie design is that when you can hear the drain, it means there is debris on the screen of the primary syphon drain & the emergency pipe has been activated. Cleaning the screen addresses the sound issue & your back in business.

Also keep in mind that you are putting a gate valve on the primary syphon drain & limiting the amount of water that will flow through the sump. This may or may not be an issue for you with a 250 DT. Both times I have used this method it was on large tanks (220gal & 300gal) & I had painted the back of both displays so the return pipes were not visible w/ a canopy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back