Herbie Setup Question

• Thread starter member 99594
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey all,

Currently I am running my overflow with the durso kit that came with the tank.

I am planning on upgrading my sump and I decided to change to a Herbie set up while I do this, however, I have heard that you should try and run your main drain as vertical as possible. I do not have this option as I need to come down from the tank and over into a fish room behind the tank.

If you see in my photo, I have circled where I plan to put the gate valve. The sump is immediately on the other side of the wall.

IMG_4942.JPG

Will this still work?

Also, will a gate valve or ball valve be better?

Thanks in advance.

leedsrhinojohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work, the only thing with having bends is the flow isn't as fast as just a straight bit, but the restriction in flow is nothing to worry about as you control the flow anyway.
definitely buy a gate valve, they are far easier to adjust than a ball valve, your sanity will thank you for buying a gate valve.

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the gate over ball valve, its worth the extra money. Also unions will make life easier.

If possible, would you be able to run 2 45s to the sump instead of 2 90s? Cant see how low your sump is compared to the main tank, but its worth asking.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Yes, I have 4 unions going in.

I have a bit of room to maybe run a 45, can the gate valve go on that angle?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have the ability to run it mostly verticals the best option would be the flex spa type tubing so that you don’t have any 90* bends. But as long as any horizontal runs are short and kept to a minimum you should be ok

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The valve can be placed anywhere in the system you choose. Best is to put it where you can easily reach it.

Although not a necessity, the closeest to the sump(longest run possible) will purge air from the system the fastest.

I would also probably use spa flex to eliminate 90's or 45's(great place for air to get trapped and cause all sorts of wonky things from noise to fluctutating water levels).

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
If you don’t have the ability to run it mostly verticals the best option would be the flex spa type tubing so that you don’t have any 90* bends. But as long as any horizontal runs are short and kept to a minimum you should be ok
The valve can be placed anywhere in the system you choose. Best is to put it where you can easily reach it.

Although not a necessity, the closeest to the sump(longest run possible) will purge air from the system the fastest.

I would also probably use spa flex to eliminate 90's or 45's(great place for air to get trapped and cause all sorts of wonky things from noise to fluctutating water levels).

Thank you guys!! Would Flexible PVC work?

1565696657494.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes

Spa flex is just a brand name. I believe there is also ultra flex which has the same properties of regular spa flex(can be glued into normal PVC), but is way more pliable.

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Hey guys,

Another quick question.

My DT is in a living room area and the sump is in a room behind the DT. My plan is to have a flex hose for the main siphon drain from the DT (with unions) through the wall and a short (15" horizontal run) to a 90 and into the sump.

Can I put the gate valve on that horizontal run going through the wall?

OP
OP
M

member 99594

View Badges
Here is what I was thinking.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Flex PVC from where my finger is to the drain. That’s one 90 to the sump and the gate valve on the end near the sump.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back