Here it is! Fenbendazole use against hydroids

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m assuming that’s okay to be in reef tank?

I personally have used it in my reef on more than one occasion. Here is my experience and others that have refined it to a "double tap" method :cool:

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are past 54 hours following dosing fenbendazole. The digitate hydroids have stayed retracted all this time which is a positive. At what point do I know they are dead?

Krheigh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just added it to my tank , now it's just sit back and watch time ;Wideyed
Now 3+ years later is the tank still up and running?
Someone told me that fenbendazole kills the rock slowly
I need to get rid of the pest

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
No that tank is no longer running but nothing to do with the treatment , it worked Absolutely fine and had no side-effects

Cherim7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210720_142004.jpg

20210309_133101.jpg

I feel like giving up honestly. There are so many anemones and other things in this 2m tank that can die from fenbendazole. I am scared to use it. But they are all over like this! Any other advice?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210720_142004.jpg

20210309_133101.jpg

I feel like giving up honestly. There are so many anemones and other things in this 2m tank that can die from fenbendazole. I am scared to use it. But they are all over like this! Any other advice?
Anemones don’t die with fenbendazole

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed,
You anemones will be fine.
Can you list what you have in the tank and I will let you know what my experience is with that animal?
I just renuked my tank and I will post an update once everything is done.

Cherim7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed,
You anemones will be fine.
Can you list what you have in the tank and I will let you know what my experience is with that animal?
I just renuked my tank and I will post an update once everything is done.

Ok well there is starfish and hermit which I thought I would take out. Some wrasse, I hear they are sensitive to it. And if anemones(bubbletips) are fine then great. Some leather corals..

Cherim7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things, to get it in South Africa is very difficult so will have to import. I see however some have flubendazole, is that very different to fenbendazole?

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
Looks like as good a place as any to ask... I have to admit that in years not had a hydroid problem that I've known of anyway. I just recently noticed these and thought they were feather dusters. Now I'm not so sure and they are spreading profusely in the tank. I also have to say I have not seen them bothering anything so far and have not seen any sign on glass. I've been looking at them with some high mag reading glasses I got a while back for examining frags and finally tried to get some pics. I do see what looks like a fairly distinct brown tube, in the mid right leading me to think maybe still feather dusters. Plus I can make out the brown tube elsewhere when I look. Hopefully not just wishful thinking. If they are I guess its time for a copperband to do some cleanup.

a72_zpsadifinui.jpg
What it that? I might have this lil guy in my tank

Gozzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've been reading this excellent thread and have identified my issue as being Hydroids :eek:

Turns out I had these for years in some form or other and they eventually caused a tank crash. It went unnoticed because I think they were attacking corals through small holes in the rock from underneath.

I've ordered Cloverleaf Absolute+ Wormer Treatment Aquarium 50g which is being delivered today.

I took the live rock out of my sump and put them in a container which i'm going to use for testing to see what will kill them.

Can anyone advise the recommended dosage for my tank please? It's 180 litres but possibly 150 litres due to the live rock. I have turbo snails and GSP which i'll remove and the rest is cleaner shrimp, 6 line wrasse, chromis, zoa's, duncans and acan.

Can someone also please let me know what actual strain of Hydroids I'm dealing with?

This is a pic of the rock I removed which is covered in the little sh1ts :-(

I managed to get a decent sample of it which was about 2ml in size and these are the pics and video. The video is really interesting as it shows what it looks like at 1000x zoom

20220202_11_47_13.png
20220202_11_52_28.png

Sorry to just join the forum without introducing myself but these things are pita!!!

Over the last 2 years I've treated with dinox, h202, vibrant, blackout periods etc and been through 2 tank cycles after getting the rock back to bare bones. (or at least I thought i did haha)
All the above was done becaase I thought I was treating Dino's or Chrysophytes :rolleyes:

My levels are salinity 1025, KH 12, Po4 0.1, No3 5, ca 430, mg 1400, ph 8.15, silicate 0.

The tank is now cycled and is in the best condition from a parameters point of view. The Hydroids even though small are slowly killing all my hard work again.

PS Thanks to everyone whose added to this thread, even though its bad news to get Hydroids I'm just pleased I now know what I'm dealing with :cool:

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gozzy,
this is a different hydroid than what i was dealing with. I am not familiar with this one.
Also, I am not sure what Cloverleaf Absolute+ Wormer is?

Milton

Gozzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gozzy,
this is a different hydroid than what i was dealing with. I am not familiar with this one.

Milton
Thanks for the quick reply.

Flubendazole is the main ingredient.

According to the packet I should add 1gram per 454L

So I'm thinking of adding 0.15 gram which would equate to treating roughly 70 litres?

I want to under dose it first just to be on the safe side.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gozzy,

Milton

used it 1 year ago.

killed all hydroids.

killed small gsp and a small leather.

did not kill zoas, mush, scoly, goni, sps.

tank goes pretty well till this date.

E7EC1437-0712-4770-A2B7-11F80303E775.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back