OP
AlaskaReefGuy

AlaskaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I've really let this thread slide. Ok, so since the last update I've gotten a LOT done. Huge shout out to BulkReefSupply, SaltwaterAquarium, and BlueZoo Aquatics for getting all of the stuff I needed to get this tank off the ground. Added 100lbs of DRY rock, 50lbs of live sand, and about 10lbs of live rock seeder out of a friends tank. It took a few weeks to cycle, but we got there.

While we were waiting for the cycle to finish, we got the rest of the house done, got the plane out to the mechanic for the glass panel upgrade, and got a new puppy.

About a week after the tank cycled, I was on a golf trip in Phoenix and "happened" to find a guy breaking down a tank on craigslist... well, I bought all the livestock. What started as 2 BTA's, is now 7... they're splitting like mad. Most of the Zoa's are growing like a week, the blastos and acans are growing like weeds... needless to say, everything is going well.

I'll have more photos when it's not so bright out, and my pumps slow for feeding.

IMG_1450.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the update!

House looks great....but I can hardly see the tank hahahahah

Waiting in anticipation for pics!!

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the decor and tank stand/canopy. Do you ever find any issues with blue reef light interfering with the color schema of the room?

OP
OP
AlaskaReefGuy

AlaskaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the decor and tank stand/canopy. Do you ever find any issues with blue reef light interfering with the color schema of the room?
I was REALLY worried about that, in fact, we went all the way to the ceiling with the canopy to help control the light scatter (I can adjust the height of the radions this way.) That said, I really don't have light scatter, so it blends in REALLY nicely.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was REALLY worried about that, in fact, we went all the way to the ceiling with the canopy to help control the light scatter (I can adjust the height of the radions this way.) That said, I really don't have light scatter, so it blends in REALLY nicely.
Does it mess with the ambient lighting of the room during the evenings at all? My spouse won't let me have a reef tank in the main living room due to concerns about the blue hue reef tank lighting casts, especially when it is contrasted against the warm light most indoor light fixtures cast.

OP
OP
AlaskaReefGuy

AlaskaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it mess with the ambient lighting of the room during the evenings at all? My spouse won't let me have a reef tank in the main living room due to concerns about the blue hue reef tank lighting casts, especially when it is contrasted against the warm light most indoor light fixtures cast.

Not at all. My wife-to-be and I are lighting freaks. If there was a blue cast, it would drive both of us nuts. I've got the Radions in about the 12k spectrum when they're fully ramped up, so it's not TOO blue.

OP
OP
AlaskaReefGuy

AlaskaReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still blue, it’s not remotely this blue in person. I’ll break out my real camera at some point, but here you go.

5F30E875-2E74-4FDD-9B5B-0C722943F341.jpeg
418528E5-1169-46E7-B03A-4BD12B791743.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back