OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know before I upgraded mine to DC when I first started my tank it went crazy. You can let it just drain from the hose back into your reef mat or sump till it breaks in. Is your water level even with the sticker on the skimmer? It probably won’t produce much till you get a bio load but running it will help your PH. I’m personally not a fan of these Red Sea skimmers. I feel they don’t work all that well. I wish I would have bought a different skimmer.
OB…you are the ultimate go-to as usual.

I wasn’t aware of this baffle (1:29 mark of video) to adjust the water height in the skimmer section, which you were spot-on with, in that the water level was too high causing the over-skimming. Now just have to fine tune it as it appears to be working perfectly now.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks OB! I will have a look at the water level tonight and see if that is the
OB…you are the ultimate go-to as usual.

I wasn’t aware of this baffle (1:29 mark of video) to adjust the water height in the skimmer section, which you were spot-on with, in that the water level was too high causing the over-skimming. Now just have to fine tune it as it appears to be working perfectly now.

Very happy to help. Setting up a new tank can be tricky. Feel free to ask questions I’m on here pretty regularly.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay everyone, another question. So I’d like to start a fuge, but really don’t have space in or around sump for a dedicated area.

So could I effectively start one in this area of sump, that is circled, in the same area where water returns after going through ReefMat mechanical filtration, before it enters skimmer area? I know it’s not ideal, but is only possible place I can imagine one could go, without having a separate tank for the fuge.

Please let me know your thoughts.

IMG_3632.jpeg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good question I have wanted to do the same but more on the other side. As I have all my probes were you want to do it. I also hate to say it have been considering turning my factory ato into one like others have. Since I plan on also adding kalkwasser. Problem I see with these sumps aside from they are to small is there’s not much flow when we use a fleece roller. I’d say if you do end up doing it, your going to want to add a little power head.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good question I have wanted to do the same but more on the other side. As I have all my probes were you want to do it. I also hate to say it have been considering turning my factory ato into one like others have. Since I plan on also adding kalkwasser. Problem I see with these sumps aside from they are to small is there’s not much flow when we use a fleece roller. I’d say if you do end up doing it, your going to want to add a little power head.
I've got an extra small powerhead that I can use, so I think I will try it. Just want to attempt and reduce the uglies so I'll throw that powerhead and a light in there and see what happens. (Haven't even attempted to get my ATO running as I've got nowhere to keep the water)

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should have came with a reservoir. Yours doesn’t need to be gravity fed. Just put that plug on if it came with one. Your definitely going to want that sooner rather than later.

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I have a 300 and use the Tunze MAR asmy refugium in the spot next to my rollermat. For what it’s worth, you might want to check your settings in the roller. My rolls last about 2-3 months. Mine is setup to auto advance 1.0-1.2 inches
IMG_0408_Original.jpeg

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best picture but I have a 300 and use the Tunze MAR asmy refugium in the spot next to my rollermat. For what it’s worth, you might want to check your settings in the roller. My rolls last about 2-3 months. Mine is setup to auto advance 1.0-1.2 inches
IMG_0408_Original.jpeg
Thanks! I will have to look into that! Still on the fence between the fuge and a scrubber.

And thanks for advice on the roll. I do have it set to auto now, but with basically little to no bioload, it is currently only using less than an inch a day, so still monitoring it.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a game…let’s play “Name That Stuff”!

Woke up this morning to these spots on rocks and sand, a brownish orange color. Did water testing (after feeding/overfeeding as I’m sure I’m doing) and here are results:
PH-7.8
Am-0.07 can’t seem to ever get it to “0”.
Nitrite - 11ppb (that’s how Hanna marinemaster gives result…so 0.011 ppm). Can’t ever get this one to “0” either.
Nitrate- 6.4 ppm
And don’t have any corals, just a couple clowns, but still did these tests too:
Alk-5.6 dKH
Calcium-594 ppm
Magnesium-1630 ppm
Phosphate-0.17 ppm
Salinity is a little high at 1.027

Today was scheduled maintenance day so did a little over 20% water change after doing this testing. Made sure to clean sand bed as best I could too. (Might be time to add my sand sifting goby)

Also just recently started using turf scrubber (went with this instead of fuge), but that’s only been up and running for about 36 hours, so probably a negligible effect at this point.

I also added first batch of pods this week and have been dosing photo nightly.

Lights have been on for over a week as I figure why not just face the inevitable and get it over with.

So am I looking at the start of a diatoms outbreak (which is what I’m thinking it is…pics look like it’s green, but it is absolutely not) or cyano (which I always assumed would be greenish in color, so thinking it’s not that)

So let me know what you think my best course of action should be. My first inclination is to do nothing other than to let it go and do more frequent water changes.

Thanks in advance for all comments/input!
IMG_3726.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3733.jpeg

Jenyphur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also love to see an update as I"m right behind you with the brownish spots showing up. I also want to see how the turf scrubber is working out. Which one did you go with and where did you put it? I have the 300 and there just isn't much space at all in there. Thanks so much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back