Here We Go! Red Sea Reefer Max G2+ 300

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone! Starting the thread for my build as everything is scheduled to arrive over the next week. Will post updates as we go, but go ahead and let it fly for any advice, suggestions or Red Sea Reefer tank tips from those who may have already setup this system or something similar.

This will be my first venture into a SW system setup/build/cycle/stocking with sump, as I have always had FW systems. And research I've done over past few months from searching around here, BRS, and BRSTv articles/videos has been extremely helpful with my planning, but would welcome specific suggestions on the Red Sea product as their direct videos and manuals seem to not be very robust.

Thanks in advance and can't wait to start sharing progress and hearing from everyone!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Red Sea club! A magnifier for the instruction manual is recommended! (you'll see why when you open it up for the first time) The great news with the MAX setup is that all the gear will run through ReefBeat, so it kind of gives you a "Neptune Lite" in terms of a controller (you can control and monitor the gear all through the ReefBeat app).

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Red Sea club! A magnifier for the instruction manual is recommended! (you'll see why when you open it up for the first time) The great news with the MAX setup is that all the gear will run through ReefBeat, so it kind of gives you a "Neptune Lite" in terms of a controller (you can control and monitor the gear all through the ReefBeat app).
Yes, that was a primary reason for choosing the Red Sea for me. Things have changed immensely since my last tank so this Red Sea has a lot of bells and whistles and should be interesting learning everything through the initial cycling.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that was a primary reason for choosing the Red Sea for me. Things have changed immensely since my last tank so this Red Sea has a lot of bells and whistles and should be interesting learning everything through the initial cycling.
You'll love the ReefMat. I've been running an experiment for the past month or so to see how many times you can "recycle" the fleece rolls. So far no hiccups - and it looks like there's a significant cost savings.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so slow and steady is way to go, right? I’m taking that to the extreme! Been a lot of learning, specifically about the technology in the sump, but have things setup and ready to get wet. I’ll be doing a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s.

Also interested on comments about aquascaping as I tried to incorporate negative space, and got a little, but still “wall” looking structure, but I like it. Might be a little tall though.
The delivery…yikes!

IMG_3585.jpeg

With lights on to see positioning and how corals might be placed once I get to that point next year. I think there are enough hiding places around and behind, but again, might be too tall and too close to rear wall.

IMG_3628.jpeg

Left Side

IMG_3629.jpeg

Right Side

IMG_3630.jpeg

Embarrassed to show this sump pic, but will be working to get the cords under control and organized.

IMG_3632.jpeg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to cut that return line. That kink is no good. What pump you running. Don’t feel bad about your sump they all start if like that. Mine did and has went through a lot of changes. I have a 250 I love it only downside is it just a little to small I wish it was a foot wider.

Red Sea 500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so slow and steady is way to go, right? I’m taking that to the extreme! Been a lot of learning, specifically about the technology in the sump, but have things setup and ready to get wet. I’ll be doing a fish less cycle with Dr Tim’s.

Also interested on comments about aquascaping as I tried to incorporate negative space, and got a little, but still “wall” looking structure, but I like it. Might be a little tall though.
The delivery…yikes!

IMG_3585.jpeg

With lights on to see positioning and how corals might be placed once I get to that point next year. I think there are enough hiding places around and behind, but again, might be too tall and too close to rear wall.

IMG_3628.jpeg

Left Side

IMG_3629.jpeg

Right Side

IMG_3630.jpeg

Embarrassed to show this sump pic, but will be working to get the cords under control and organized.

IMG_3632.jpeg
I just did a 950 max peninsula….my wires/cables look identical lol.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to cut that return line. That kink is no good. What pump you running. Don’t feel bad about your sump they all start if like that. Mine did and has went through a lot of changes. I have a 250 I love it only downside is it just a little to small I wish it was a foot wider.
Yes, good point and thank you. I did have that on the list to modify before adding water.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The delivery…yikes!

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

Left Side

IMG_3629.jpeg

Right Side

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg
I like the scape.

The delivery…yikes!

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3628.jpeg

Left Side

IMG_3629.jpeg

Right Side

IMG_3630.jpeg

IMG_3632.jpeg
I like the scape! I would also suggest switching out the single return nozzle. It should have cam with a Y fitting as well. You can always order a random flow duel nozzle. I like it a lot better you can adjust them better where you want the flow to go.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Red Sea people, need some help. I’ve got things setup after some adjustments, and now I have a lot of noise and want to make sure I have everything setup correctly.

First major source of noise that I think is abnormal is from the reefmat, where the water comes in from the tank at the roller. I’ve gone over the manual and it says the the openings should be facing downwards, to lock it into position on the mat. Any one else have this problem? I expected some noise…a pur…but this is loud.

IMG_3634.jpeg

Second noise issue is at the tank return and a waterfall sound. I’ve tried to adjust the big red open/close knob in the sump, where water comes into reefmat, but that does not seem to do anything. Is this just a simple fix by adding more water to display tank thus raising the level of water in the clear return cup? Not sure what the level of the water should be in that return area at back of tank. Any suggestions?

IMG_3636.jpeg

IMG_3635.jpeg

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would also suggest switching out the single return nozzle. It should have cam with a Y fitting as well. You can always order a random flow duel nozzle. I like it a lot better you can adjust them better where you want the flow to go.
Thanks and I do agree with you about the return nozzle. It did come with a hard Y nozzle that I don’t like and I am going to replace it at some point with a better directional Y nozzle.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling that for a long time, trying to fine tune the overflow it always ends up going over the emergency drain draining a little. I can generally get it to atleast slow enough not to make noise but,As soon as I get it perfect it messes up. I swear the filter roller keeps the sump uneven kicking on the ato when it shouldn’t.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes a bit of playing with that valve to figure it out. if it is over flowing turn down till it stops the ease it back open.
Okay, I’ll play with that more tomorrow. It’s not overflowing, down the emergency overflow, just running down the regular return (with the clear cup). Seems like there needs to be a funnel down that tube to the elbow underneath, so it doesn’t “waterfall”. Maybe something that can be solved with the 3D printer.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update…problem solved with noise issue. Big thanks to OB for the suggestions/info. Had to mess with the main downpipe valve to bring the water level up in the overflow box. Now just fine tuning it.

So now, looking for some suggestions on the pump running % under normal conditions, when stocked. Right now, while doing fishless cycle, I’ve got it running at 25%. My assumption is that once fully cycled and running normally with fish and eventually corals, I’ll need to increase that to filter more water/hr. But what are suggestions/advice?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I just came accross this thread so will follow along. I just set up a xl300 G2 in February. First I have to say I am really envious of your rock scape. It looks awesome.
I added a reefmat 500 last week and am loving it after talking bad about them before :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I run a jebao dcp 500 as a return and I am running it at 45% right now. I don't really calculate turnover, math isn't my thing. A return for me is more for filtration. I have it set so it seems to be working well with the reefmat. I do run the y outlet and try to sweep the surface back to the weir
I use powerheads for the actual flow This tank is a learning experience for me. It was my first dry rock bare bottom start up using bottled bac (fritz 900)

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update…problem solved with noise issue. Big thanks to OB for the suggestions/info. Had to mess with the main downpipe valve to bring the water level up in the overflow box. Now just fine tuning it.

So now, looking for some suggestions on the pump running % under normal conditions, when stocked. Right now, while doing fishless cycle, I’ve got it running at 25%. My assumption is that once fully cycled and running normally with fish and eventually corals, I’ll need to increase that to filter more water/hr. But what are suggestions/advice?
The higher return rate the more fleece roller you will go through. I believe it’s recommended for 650 gph well my 250 is atleast I believe yours is a few more gallons than mine is I run a various 2. I would look up your specs . I had a way to big non adjustable return pump at first. As a lot of people state myself included the first roll went pretty fast. However that’s on a tank with live stock. Just keep that in mind once you start adding things. It will however level off. I generally average a foot a day with a decent bio load.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll love the ReefMat. I've been running an experiment for the past month or so to see how many times you can "recycle" the fleece rolls. So far no hiccups - and it looks like there's a significant cost savings.
Funny you mention this - I find myself checking out the used part and thinking “that’s not very dirty” so I’ll roll it back a few feet lol. Never thought to reuse the whole roll though! Does it keep the same pace of inches per day or is it doubled?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back