Here We Go! Red Sea Reefer Max G2+ 300

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My assumption is that once fully cycled and running normally with fish and eventually corals, I’ll need to increase that to filter more water/hr. But what are suggestions/advice?
just run about 3x system volume turnover through your sump and keep it there. Use powerheads in your DT for internal flow.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this - I find myself checking out the used part and thinking “that’s not very dirty” so I’ll roll it back a few feet lol. Never thought to reuse the whole roll though! Does it keep the same pace of inches per day or is it doubled?
I actually remove the whole roll when it's done, wash, let dry and then re-roll. So far I've found that the "recycled" fleece rolls use half as much fleece per day as a new roll. I'm going to post full details (including pictures!) on my tank thread when I'm done this roll.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings. I just came accross this thread so will follow along. I just set up a xl300 G2 in February. First I have to say I am really envious of your rock scape. It looks awesome.
I added a reefmat 500 last week and am loving it after talking bad about them before :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
I run a jebao dcp 500 as a return and I am running it at 45% right now. I don't really calculate turnover, math isn't my thing. A return for me is more for filtration. I have it set so it seems to be working well with the reefmat. I do run the y outlet and try to sweep the surface back to the weir
I use powerheads for the actual flow This tank is a learning experience for me. It was my first dry rock bare bottom start up using bottled bac (fritz 900)
Thanks! It was my first dive into scaping like this, spent too much time looking at pictures of other tanks and watching videos (Ryan from BSRtv is the master!) but happy with the end result.

And thanks for your notes on settings as I’ll keep that in my back pocket for when I start stocking in a few weeks.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually remove the whole roll when it's done, wash, let dry and then re-roll. So far I've found that the "recycled" fleece rolls use half as much fleece per day as a new roll. I'm going to post full details (including pictures!) on my tank thread when I'm done this roll.
Wow so you unroll the whole thing and wash it and then roll it back up? Seems tedious lol

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just run about 3x system volume turnover through your sump and keep it there. Use powerheads in your DT for internal flow.
Thanks buruskee! I’ve read many different things about preferred turnover, so this info will help. Much appreciated!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so you unroll the whole thing and wash it and then roll it back up? Seems tedious lol
Yes. We've got it down to a fine art now so it doesn't take more than maybe an hour in total. It's reduced my fleece cost from $75/month to <$10/month...

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buruskee! I’ve read many different things about preferred turnover, so this info will help. Much appreciated!
Most do about 2-3x and up to 5x … there are the occasional reefers running 10x, but from what I’ve seen around the internet and local reefers is the 3x mark.

I’m at about 4x if I would have to guess, or maybe closer to 3x. Really tough to say without a flow meter. I have about 150G volume after rock/sand displacement, and I have my DC controller at 30% on a pump rated at 2000GPH at 6ft headroom, but it shows 39W out of the max rated 85W so who knows where I’m at lol. Controller implies I should be about 5-600GPH but wattage implies 45% of 2000, so 900gph. I have no clue lol.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. We've got it down to a fine art now so it doesn't take more than maybe an hour in total. It's reduced my fleece cost from $75/month to <$10/month...
Holy crap. And here I thought I was running through rolls quick. Mine last about 2 weeks. What’s your daily average??

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap. And here I thought I was running through rolls quick. Mine last about 2 weeks. What’s your daily average??
On my ReefMat 1200 a new roll lasts ~20 days (this is with about 45 fish on average). A recycled roll lasts over ~40 days.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. All wet, sand, (maybe a little much, but wanted a bigger bed) wires cleaned up a bit and just about finished with fishless cycle. Just can’t get ph higher than 7.8.

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. All wet, sand, (maybe a little much, but wanted a bigger bed) wires cleaned up a bit and just about finished with fishless cycle. Just can’t get ph higher than 7.8.

IMG_3668.jpeg

IMG_3669.jpeg

IMG_3670.jpeg
Looking good. Have you been running your lights? I wouldn’t worry to much about the PH yet.

OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
GoogleWasMyIdea

GoogleWasMyIdea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone following that can lend skimmer advice...I added first inhabitants (2 clowns) and started skimming. From everything I've read on here and elsewhere there is an expected "break-in" period that can be a couple days to a week or two for the skimmer where it will over-skim.

I have my RedSea Reefer 300 skimmer set to 1% on the pump and the skim regulator cranked all the way down and it is still filling the collection cup constantly.

So first question, should I have even started skimming yet or should I wait a little longer for the fish/food waste buildup to continue? If I should wait, how long would you recommend or what signs should I look for before going back to skimming?

Or is there something that I should look for with the Skimmer assembly/setup that could be causing this constant overflow at 1% pump and the skim regulator cranked down?

Finally, since the collection cup is constantly filling up, is it okay to just have the cup drain port "open" and draining back into the Skimmer compartment of the sump? Until it starts actual skimming and the foam production is more controllable.

Any and all information/tips/criticism is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone following that can lend skimmer advice...I added first inhabitants (2 clowns) and started skimming. From everything I've read on here and elsewhere there is an expected "break-in" period that can be a couple days to a week or two for the skimmer where it will over-skim.

I have my RedSea Reefer 300 skimmer set to 1% on the pump and the skim regulator cranked all the way down and it is still filling the collection cup constantly.

So first question, should I have even started skimming yet or should I wait a little longer for the fish/food waste buildup to continue? If I should wait, how long would you recommend or what signs should I look for before going back to skimming?

Or is there something that I should look for with the Skimmer assembly/setup that could be causing this constant overflow at 1% pump and the skim regulator cranked down?

Finally, since the collection cup is constantly filling up, is it okay to just have the cup drain port "open" and draining back into the Skimmer compartment of the sump? Until it starts actual skimming and the foam production is more controllable.

Any and all information/tips/criticism is welcomed. Thanks in advance!
I know before I upgraded mine to DC when I first started my tank it went crazy. You can let it just drain from the hose back into your reef mat or sump till it breaks in. Is your water level even with the sticker on the skimmer? It probably won’t produce much till you get a bio load but running it will help your PH. I’m personally not a fan of these Red Sea skimmers. I feel they don’t work all that well. I wish I would have bought a different skimmer.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back