Hermit crab eating coral? or is it even a coral?

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty new to the reef tanking hobby and I have begun purchasing my first corals.

This morning I noticed a hermit crab picking at this little red looking coral on the same frag as my mushroom. I didn't think they would bother my corals but I definitely seen it picking at the the red stuff (is it even coral?). Also, he wont stop climbing around my new GSP and it doesn't want to open. Going on day 3 now -.-

Any advice or information would be fantastic, thanks!

PXL_20220328_160512256.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20220328_160503270.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hermit crab is probably picking at some algae on the frags. the red on the pictured coral frag SEEMS like coralline algae. is it hard? or soft? if soft, could be a sponge or maybe cyano.

the corals are new, so if your water parameters are in accordance, they should open up within a day or two. they're still acclimating.

OP
OP
TwiTch18

TwiTch18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hermit crab is probably picking at some algae on the frags. the red on the pictured coral frag SEEMS like coralline algae. is it hard? or soft? if soft, could be a sponge or maybe cyano.

the corals are new, so if your water parameters are in accordance, they should open up within a day or two. they're still acclimating.
Thanks for the information! I was also thinking some type of algae but it kind of felt soft to the touch. Maybe I'm crazy though ha..

All the other corals seem to be opening up so ill just give the GSP more time :)

Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the information! I was also thinking some type of algae but it kind of felt soft to the touch. Maybe I'm crazy though ha..

All the other corals seem to be opening up so ill just give the GSP more time :)

Thanks!
could quite possibly be algae still. there is red macro algae that exists!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back