Hermit crab molt or carcass

Jameswebb96

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2023
Messages
20
Reaction score
13
Location
wokingham
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I’m completely new to all this so thought I’d get a second opinion

I checked last night all three hermit crabs was out and about doing what they do.

this morning whilst doing my checks I found only one crabs carcass or molt what do you guys think?

85C45E29-138B-4B44-9369-4AD14138BA1D.jpeg
 
It does look like a molt. I find them with my emerald crabs and we save them. We have several bowls full of shells from the beach and we place them on the top.
 
Hard to say, but my guess is a molt. Crustaceans may hide out for a couple days after molting so it may be a bit before you know for sure
I have 3 hermit I rarely see two of them only really at night if I ever check the tank.

hopefully it’s just a molt,they seemed completely fine last night anyways.
 
It does look like a molt. I find them with my emerald crabs and we save them. We have several bowls full of shells from the beach and we place them on the top.
Well fingers crossed I haven’t seen the shell anywhere so I assume he/she is hiding now
 
Hard to tell with it out of the water, but probably a molt.
Yeah wanted to get it out didn’t want to leave a carcass in there if it was.
By the feel of it it seems to be crumbly so assuming it’s a molt.
 
Update to whoever decides to come back here.

All 3 hermit crabs are alive and good came out as the lights went out wondering around :)
 
Update to whoever decides to come back here.

All 3 hermit crabs are alive and good came out as the lights went out wondering around :)
I've got 2 giant blue legged HC in 2 different tanks and there have been times I swore one or the other was dead only to have them re-appear days later looking great. They can certainly fool you with the molting.
 
I've got 2 giant blue legged HC in 2 different tanks and there have been times I swore one or the other was dead only to have them re-appear days later looking great. They can certainly fool you with the molting.
It was definitely a shocker in the morning, but looks like I was fooled.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new