Is this a molt or a dead cleaner shrimp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Snowmank
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Snowmank

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2025
Messages
40
Reaction score
25
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finished cycling last week (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 ppm nitrate) and yesterday I added some snails, a few crabs and a cleaner shrimp. I drip acclimated for about 15 min and then added them to my tank. Everything was doing ok last night when I went to bed, and when I woke up this morning the crabs were all over the place, the snails have not moved, and the shrimp was on a rock seeming happy.

When I came home from work today I could not see my shrimp. My daughter found him stuck on the back of my power head. I assume this is a body and not a molt, but wanted to check.
20251201_165637_65F1A557-9729-4845-88E2-A143AB8F0AF1.png

I have since checked and my salinity had dropped down to 1.200 (my ato sensor was super high and added too much RODI water) so I assume I messed this up and killed him, but wanted to check.

Can’t believe I killed my first guy on day 1.
 
Molts are usually translucent and the colors are super faded. I'd say thats a dead shrimp. If it isnt dead and just a super nice molt Give it a day and look around the tank you'll see a shrimp
 
Molts are usually translucent and the colors are super faded. I'd say thats a dead shrimp. If it isnt dead and just a super nice molt Give it a day and look around the tank you'll see a shrimp
That’s what I thought. I have a big freshwater shrimp tank and never seen such a bright molt with eyes. I’m assuming the salinity drop for him. Thanks.
 
That’s what I thought. I have a big freshwater shrimp tank and never seen such a bright molt with eyes. I’m assuming the salinity drop for him. Thanks.
I keep crystal reds and I rarely see their molts. My current cleaner shrimps molts are much clearer. Im sorry for your loss
 
thats dead, molt doesnt have eyes, its basically like a shell of skin
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new