Hermits eating margarita snails

Jethro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 1 week ago I added 12 hermit crabs and 12 margarita snails to my 30 gallon tank to enhance my CUC on the advice of my LFS. Since adding I have found several of the snails being eaten by hermits or simply as empty shells. Some of the snails seem to be doing fine on the glass or the rockwork and all the hermits are fine. Water parameters look great. Are the hermits actively killing the snails? Is there a more compatible snail that does better with hermits or is this just a fact of aquarium life? I would say half of the snails are gone now. The hermits are a mixture of blue legs, scarlets, red legs, and at least 1 zebra. Thoughts?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the danger of hermit crabs, snails are a tasty treat or a new home. You could try a larger snail like a turbo.

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I thought as much. Perhaps I'll try the turbos.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could of had a few snails die as well. How did you acclimate them to the tank.

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like reef life to me. I’ve not had to add any snails to my reef for awhile but when I do I plan on losing half of them to hermits or whatever in the first month. Hermits gotta have bigger shells after all.

Having said that, I’m a nut that likes peacock mantis as well as corals so I’ve got a fairly brutal outlook when it comes to cuc. I can get hermits stupid cheap so they bear the brunt of it. The reLly tiny ones seem to do better though as they can hide more easily.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't plenty of algae to eat, you can expect the hermits to eat your snails.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits are murderers. I stopped buying snails. I have an astrea and a nassarus snail that have evolved enough to avoid the hermits. I think they may have some sort of cloaking device. I know the nassarus uses submarine in the sand tactics.

Seriousness... get a couple astrea. They seem to have shells that the hermits are not interested in. They kill other snails for their shells. Because they like the way they fit. It's not always food motivated. But sometimes it is. If you don't have much algae for them to eat, wait till you do.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of aquarium life. I add some more snails once every month or two. I do like having some hermits in the tank as they eat meaty items that get stuck in nooks of the rock work. Biodiversity is a good thing in our systems, imo.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit adding crabs cuz they eat my snails. I have 1 red legged remaining and when he croaks, that’s it! Caught him eating a big Mexican turbo a few days ago that must have fallen off s rock and they can’t right themselves so..... big meal for red legs!!!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't plenty of algae to eat, you can expect the hermits to eat your snails.

It may not apply, but another angle is if you have any toxic algae growing, that can also cause lethargy in snails if they eat it.

Anything funky growing in your tank @Swoody or @Jethro – or are they just eating regular green algae?

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not apply, but another angle is if you have any toxic algae growing, that can also cause lethargy in snails if they eat it.

Anything funky growing in your tank @Swoody or @Jethro – or are they just eating regular green algae?

Just regular ol ugly green algae for me...

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going back to green algea. I can’t wait to see how much it’s grown. It sure does beat other nasties in a tank @mcarroll

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few hermits in my tank and they do serve a purpose but they can kill off snails. Hermit crabs do eat detritus and left over food bits and snails don't so that is a plus. If you have a fish that does this for you though then I agree that they become less useful. My hermits have saved me from a couple of rotting fish in the tank over the last couple of years (had a Purple Firefish and a Green Mandarin die in the rocks and they dragged it out in the open to feed and made it very easy for me to remove them).

OP
OP
J

Jethro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just green hair algae for me as well.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back