!! Hey Daniel! I've got the Paletta Pink Tip!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Paletta Pink tip was always “that one” for me. I don’t know why, but there’s always that one or two that for whatever reason it just seems you were not meant to have. Over the years I had come to accept that the Paletta Pink Tip was one of those for me. Whether by shipping fluke, or acclimation woes or other odd anomalies, It was clear to me that I was not meant to have this one. I had finally given up on ever having a piece of this on my own collection. If not for my long time coral swapping friend Justin Premo, that sentiment would have lived on indefinitely.

Justin and I had done one last swap about 2 years ago and reluctantly, I asked for one more frag of the Pinky. "Let’s give it one last and final desperate try. If this one follows the same path, then I swear I will officially give up on it." No Paletta Pink for me. Besides my BC Xmas was kind of a wannabe Paletta any way so I had the green with red/pink tips covered. At least this is what I was telling myself.

The frag came in better than any had before it, prompting immediately a promising feeling I had yet to experience with this acro in any of my previous attempts. After QT protocol I finally mounted it to one of my 3x3 tiles, threw it under T5’s and just tried to forget about it. The weeks turned into months and it began to grow, and as it grew it began to look good. As more time passed I was confident this was it. This guy had beaten the odds and unvexed whatever fluke or quirk was harnessing my ability to keep this one alive before. I finally had a thriving Paletta Pink tip and so secured my bliss!

No, this colony is still not all that big, but it looks amazing. I finally shot this guy a few months ago before I started to dismantle everything as a just in case kind of reflex and began writing this one, but did not get back to it. Thanks to Daniels thread yesterday, I managed to steal some time in the office this morning to finish the write up. And so, post here or post there, but let's see yours!

Please enjoy a long overdue macro of my very happy, and very appropriately sharing his namesake, the Paletta Pink Tip Acro!

IMG_9558_zpsszaivcwt.jpg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam, glad you finally where able to get one growing. Sometimes you just have to not even look at a coral and forget you have it. So you don't hex it.:)

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can I double like this......?!?!?

Adam maybe I'll have you send me another sacrificial lamb lol:D

Sure thing! sounds like you had the same kind of luck i did for a while there. Let me know if you want to give this one one more try!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the write up and shout out, Adam! Any tips on what you found works best for this coral? I'm trying to decide on placement right now for mine.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scorched 2 of mine :(
Your post is making me want to give it one more try for my next battle baggie !!

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the write up and shout out, Adam! Any tips on what you found works best for this coral? I'm trying to decide on placement right now for mine.

Man I wish I had the answer but in my case it was like 5th times charm lol! Seems happy in moderate light over high for sure. The colony in the pic was way off to the outer edge of the tank under t5's, and was getting hit pretty hard with flow.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one from Adam that came in a battle box. It is growing quite fast and has great polyp extension. However, mine barely has a hint of pink tips, and basically just looks like a green slimer (it is very stag-like for me). I have mine near the bottom in a 40 breeder with 6 bulb ATI T5 + 2 Reef brites. It may have lost the pink in switching from LED to T5-- making it the only coral that wasn't drastically improved by the switch. Maybe because I specifically requested LED grown in that last box (because of my previous lights)?

I have an MP40 and an MP10 both at max, and this guy is getting a lot of flow.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great picture, but the pink tip is in the middle bottom in the background. Most of the corals on the front rock are from BC, as well. The prominent one was "Dale's Purple Unknown" and it has really done well for me. Behind that is the Vivid Rainbow, which is finally starting to pay off. Then, of course, the big BC Secale. All from BC.

Tankshots-2017-04-12-12_zpsmquzgmud.jpg

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mine was green and encrusted a rock for over a year with no signs of pink,recently started shooting upwards and all if the new tips are colored!!!T5 and 2 reefbrites and one of the highest and centered crals in my tank.ill post a pic

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
mine was green and encrusted a rock for over a year with no signs of pink,recently started shooting upwards and all if the new tips are colored!!!T5 and 2 reefbrites and one of the highest and centered crals in my tank.ill post a pic

Seems to be the case with this one often. the tips really don't "come in" till its good and happy I think

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I double checked and I have to clear the air on my "pink tip Paletta", as it didn't come from Battlecorals -- I misremembered. Yours looks more clustered and mine is very much a stag that looks like a slimer. It may be a completely different coral.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, so I double checked and I have to clear the air on my "pink tip Paletta", as it didn't come from Battlecorals -- I misremembered. Yours looks more clustered and mine is very much a stag that looks like a slimer. It may be a completely different coral.

I think you may be right on that one

Can you get a little bit closer shot

Would love to get a better look

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a few weeks now in my restarted tank. (got it from Steve Tyree)
It's about one third to halfway down in my tank with good flow.
So far so good!

i-twKrFkH.jpg

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may be right on that one

Can you get a little bit closer shot

Would love to get a better look

I looked back at my notes and that was not the pink tip Paletta, in the picture. I got my pink tip from a Jason Fox live sale and, according to my notes, it it RTN'd the day after I put it in my tank. I forgot about that. I guess that is why I have a log book that I forget to look at.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back