Hey hey hey

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! I'm Lindsay, and a newb to the saltwater community. We have 3 freshwater systems, but I've learned Saltwater is a TOTALLY different ballgame! I started out in July with 2 marine hermits that my daughters found while we were vacationing in Pensacola. Being the animal lover we all are, we ran out and set up a 10 gallon saltwater tank the day we got home from the beach. Since then, we've gotten some astrea snails, a few more teeeeny hermits and 2 clown fish. I've finally defeated the diatoms in said tank So, it would be PERFECT timing to start a bigger saltwater tank, right? ‍♀️ Monday I set up our new 65 gallon tank with 60 lbs of live sand. Wednesday I had 65 pounds of live rock shipped over night from Salty Bottom. I gently scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush and saltwater(as 1 box of the rock smelled God awful). I think the smell is slowly dissipating thankfully, but now I assume my coralline algae is dying as there's a white layer of crud over a good part of the rock. Others have told me this is expected and to let it do its thing, so that's where I am! Hoping to do things right this time, where I didn't have that ability with the 10 gallon as I had to get the crabbies in water ASAP after returning from the beach! I'm sure you will see me post a gazillion and two times so I apologize in advance

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a lot of die off on the live rock. it will need time to cure and many water changes as you don't want ammonia to kill off whatever is still alive.

Welcome to R2R :)
Thank you! Happy to be here. I figured it was die off based on the smell alone However I'm getting mixed reviews on whether to "let it roll with the cycle" or do water changes. The only livestock in there are whatever hitchhikers made it. (gorilla crabs, a Mantis shrimp, brittle starfish to name a few)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Happy to be here. I figured it was die off based on the smell alone However I'm getting mixed reviews on whether to "let it roll with the cycle" or do water changes. The only livestock in there are whatever hitchhikers made it. (gorilla crabs, a Mantis shrimp, brittle starfish to name a few)
The problem is, ammonia will kill everything. Even the beneficial bacteria.

Edit: so you want to keep live rock. Not turn live rock into dead rock. The coraline can come back to life. But won't have a chance if the ammonia cooks it to death.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!! I'm Lindsay, and a newb to the saltwater community. We have 3 freshwater systems, but I've learned Saltwater is a TOTALLY different ballgame! I started out in July with 2 marine hermits that my daughters found while we were vacationing in Pensacola. Being the animal lover we all are, we ran out and set up a 10 gallon saltwater tank the day we got home from the beach. Since then, we've gotten some astrea snails, a few more teeeeny hermits and 2 clown fish. I've finally defeated the diatoms in said tank So, it would be PERFECT timing to start a bigger saltwater tank, right? ‍♀️ Monday I set up our new 65 gallon tank with 60 lbs of live sand. Wednesday I had 65 pounds of live rock shipped over night from Salty Bottom. I gently scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush and saltwater(as 1 box of the rock smelled God awful). I think the smell is slowly dissipating thankfully, but now I assume my coralline algae is dying as there's a white layer of crud over a good part of the rock. Others have told me this is expected and to let it do its thing, so that's where I am! Hoping to do things right this time, where I didn't have that ability with the 10 gallon as I had to get the crabbies in water ASAP after returning from the beach! I'm sure you will see me post a gazillion and two times so I apologize in advance
Hi Lindsay and Welcome! Glad you joined!

I'm Lisa. This is such a great hobby for the whole family. My daughter has named several of our fish and her grandmother spends hours just watching our tank. We've got a multi-generation household all involved with our tank.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a great reference book type article on tank setups which you might enjoy:

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lindsay and Welcome! Glad you joined!

I'm Lisa. This is such a great hobby for the whole family. My daughter has named several of our fish and her grandmother spends hours just watching our tank. We've got a multi-generation household all involved with our tank.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a great reference book type article on tank setups which you might enjoy:
Hey Lisa,

I'll definitely have to look into the build thread. For being in my 30s, I sure feel completely technologically challenged on here lol

As far as a hobby. I was hoping to get my husband on board with it too, and I believe he is hooked! I catch him just staring into the tank at the live rock and he's been very helpful about hooking up my filter and RODI, too so I'm excited!

OP
OP
MrsJones91011

MrsJones91011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an ammonia test kit, I hope you do. Water change at 5.0 ppm at 25% to 35%, a couple times a week.
You'll want to check ammonia levels daily, or every other day. Once ammonia hits 0. Your rock is done cycling.

If you have an ammonia test kit, I hope you do. Water change at 5.0 ppm at 25% to 35%, a couple times a week.
You'll want to check ammonia levels daily, or every other day. Once ammonia hits 0. Your rock is done cycling.
Good deal! Thanks!

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back