Hey I want a clam

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making me want to go get a clam.....but if I did I'd have to buy the wife some heels to distract her. Hmmm.

They seem so intimidating. Maybe its due to me not knowing ANYTHING about maintaining them.

Did someone say they could walk?

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making me want to go get a clam.....but if I did I'd have to buy the wife some heels to distract her. Hmmm.

They seem so intimidating. Maybe its due to me not knowing ANYTHING about maintaining them.

Yup they sure can especially if you have a sandbed. My big guy kinda jets himself around on my barebottom. I have him corraled though so he cant get too far. They can also bore into rock depending on what type you get.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of light.
Good water and dosing.
Jimmy Choo
Say Hi to Will at Aqua SD for me.
Done.
Lol.

OP
OP
mitchell01

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have more than enough lighting. If you are just starting out with clams I would recommend a Deresa clam as they are hardy and inexpensive compared to other clams. I would look for a a clam in the 2-4 in range to start. As for cleaning the shell you can pull them out of the water when they fully close and scrub them with a toothbrush if you like just don't scrub around the foot or the top of the clam on the mantle opening. Always check clams periodically for pyramid snails as they are a parasite that feed on clams. If the foot of the clam is attached to a rock or the glass I would not recommend moving them unless you have to as it can damage the clam. There are clam cradles available that can allow the clam to attach if it is happy which also allow you to easily move the clam. They can move on their own somewhat so I would not place them in a spot where they can fall. Sometimes they will move around to better angle themselves towards the light they want.

Thanks for the response

donny619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fd9fa72c7cad94ec0c1cebb5dcd51f74.jpg

+1 aquasd. My maxima from there under blue lighting

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only got maxima clams (I have 3 now) but I found them really hardy and would recommend them as a first clam.

The first one I got when my tank was only a couple of months old and it was tiny. I put it in places where I was sure it wouldn't be able to fall off but it always found a way to get itself face down on the sand. Eventually I gave up and just left it on the sand and it has grown like a weed.

All 3 of mine are on the sand (last I checked PAR was about 200). They also soak up alk and ca like there is no tomorrow and they grow fast, but you don't need to feed small clams (a lot of people thought small clams needed food for a while).

Screenshot_20170116-041552_zpshyarw3fa.png

PB1100191_zps2eujk0qb.jpg

20170328_191701-01_zpsj3c95mbw.jpeg

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only got maxima clams (I have 3 now) but I found them really hardy and would recommend them as a first clam.

The first one I got when my tank was only a couple of months old and it was tiny. I put it in places where I was sure it wouldn't be able to fall off but it always found a way to get itself face down on the sand. Eventually I gave up and just left it on the sand and it has grown like a weed.

All 3 of mine are on the sand (last I checked PAR was about 200). They also soak up alk and ca like there is no tomorrow and they grow fast, but you don't need to feed small clams (a lot of people thought small clams needed food for a while).

Screenshot_20170116-041552_zpshyarw3fa.png

PB1100191_zps2eujk0qb.jpg

20170328_191701-01_zpsj3c95mbw.jpeg
Wow! Those are great!

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Those are great!
Thanks :) I believe they are available in the states too, you would just have to find an importer/wholesaler who gets stock from Monsoon Aquatics in Aus (or ask your LFS to have their wholesaler import some from them). They sell seriously top quality Australian aquaculture clams. The 3 I have are actually some of his worse clams :eek:

donny619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thanks to my participation in this thread I dropped into ASD today to pick up a small coral from the weekend sale. Ended up taking coral + a buddy home for my maxima...

4ae0ca33fc74646900756e073a5c3243.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So thanks to my participation in this thread I dropped into ASD today to pick up a small coral from the weekend sale. Ended up taking coral + a buddy home for my maxima...

4ae0ca33fc74646900756e073a5c3243.jpg
Oh sweet! Is that one of the tahitians that came in to town?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back