Hey I want a clam

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently upgraded my lighting to 2x 250 lamps and 6 bulb t-5 and I assume this is enough for a clam but I would appreciate all advice I have a 100 gallon tank

Thanks in advance

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Its totally random. But coincidentally I've been thinking about a new clam for weeks.
I've really only had the one photosynthetic one but have dozens of other bi valves.
I've read a lot and I belive derasa are supposed to be the easiest. I wound up with a barely two inch squamosa and have had no problems with it. I also have a lot of light and always have in this tank.
Defiantly do a bit of research. An easy google is clams advanced aquarist and you probably read a guy named James Fatherree
Read everything he writes for sure.
THE question I was too gobsmacked to rember to ask at Macna was, are Aqua cultured clams hardier overall now that it's been being done for a while now.

I do know as EVERYONE says it , is the clam should look perfect and beautiful when you get it. There's no coloring up or opening up later.
It's one I've the reasons I didn't get a derasa. how do you tell? It's already weird lookin.
So when I saw a tiny absolutely perfect clam at the right price I went for it. It's a sand clam but walked to a rock and attached and has its but in the sand.

OP
OP
mitchell01

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Its totally random. But coincidentally I've been thinking about a new clam for weeks.
I've really only had the one photosynthetic one but have dozens of other bi valves.
I've read a lot and I belive derasa are supposed to be the easiest. I wound up with a barely two inch squamosa and have had no problems with it. I also have a lot of light and always have in this tank.
Defiantly do a bit of research. An easy google is clams advanced aquarist and you probably read a guy named James Fatherree
THE question I was too gobsmacked to rember to ask at Macna was, are Aqua cultured clams hardier overall now that it's been being done for a while now.

I do know as EVERYONE says it , is the clam should look perfect and beautiful when you get it. There's no coloring up or opening up later.
It's one I've the reasons I didn't get a derasa. how do you tell? It's already weird lookin.
So when I saw a tiny absolutely perfect clam at the right price I went for it. It's a sand clam but walked to a rock and attached and has its but in the sand.

Thanks again salty

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all Salty stated above. I have a thing for maximas and noaes. But im fairly certain the derasas and croceaz are on the easier side. Whereas hippopus and squammies are a little harder. None r really difficult to keep if you read up on them first.

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends what your looking for. I find they all look odd and dont have enough mantle for my taste. Except maximas and teardrops they have too much mantle and i love it lol

OP
OP
mitchell01

mitchell01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also depends what your looking for. I find they all look odd and dont have enough mantle for my taste. Except maximas and teardrops they have too much mantle and i love it lol

Thanks for the response will definitely read up and what are the procedures for acclimation and mantle cleaning?

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response will definitely read up and what are the procedures for acclimation and mantle cleaning?
Scrub any crud off the shell with a soft brush. If if closes and you have confidence in yourself can also give the shell a good scrub under the tap oddly enough. So long as it closes up nice and tight (im not that confident in myself lol)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Picture please.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG
Picture please.
I have been trying for three days to get a picture that looks like my clam does in person. Going nuts trying.
its got a nice gold rim, you can kinda see it in the top pic.

donny619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with salty as well in that it should look good at store. My maxima was impulse buy because the lfs had such nice looking ones. I was told derasas were "easier" as well but the maxima just stood out. Mine was only 1" when I got it and probably should have gotten a bigger one for a first. It's definitely growing. I'm not sure if it was mine in particular but a maxima has tendency to move LOTS. Always had me worried at first but I got used to it after a while. After 6 weeks it finally attached. I'm actually itching for a derasa now.

BrettMallette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG

I have been trying for three days to get a picture that looks like my clam does in person. Going nuts trying.
its got a nice gold rim, you can kinda see it in the top pic.
Almost impossible yo get a proper pic Salty. If ya look close they have photo reflective specs on their mantle that mess with cameras bad from my experience.
20170507_182739.jpg

If ya look close in this pic you can see them as slightly odd color patterns between the teardrops. Up close dark/purplish with a blue rim. From topview reddish/gold with gold rim.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have more than enough lighting. If you are just starting out with clams I would recommend a Deresa clam as they are hardy and inexpensive compared to other clams. I would look for a a clam in the 2-4 in range to start. As for cleaning the shell you can pull them out of the water when they fully close and scrub them with a toothbrush if you like just don't scrub around the foot or the top of the clam on the mantle opening. Always check clams periodically for pyramid snails as they are a parasite that feed on clams. If the foot of the clam is attached to a rock or the glass I would not recommend moving them unless you have to as it can damage the clam. There are clam cradles available that can allow the clam to attach if it is happy which also allow you to easily move the clam. They can move on their own somewhat so I would not place them in a spot where they can fall. Sometimes they will move around to better angle themselves towards the light they want.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can you find high quality small clams? My local places only have large ones and what I find on line also are large. I am talking like 1 - 2 inches.
For most beginners you do want to to look at larger clams. I got lucky with mine as I saw it in person with no shipping. And I have a lot of light. AquaSD had some fairly priced 2=3 in clams last week end

Now you have made me want one too, just beautiful ! Thanks a lot
AND SOMEHOW I RESISTED!!!(13min drive for me BTW.)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost impossible yo get a proper pic Salty. If ya look close they have photo reflective specs on their mantle that mess with cameras bad from my experience.
20170507_182739.jpg

If ya look close in this pic you can see them as slightly odd color patterns between the teardrops. Up close dark/purplish with a blue rim. From topview reddish/gold with gold rim.
yea its crazy... WIth the last offerings we saw in that other thread those ones at ASD must be mindblowing.

Back