Hey I'm new and here's my setup.

Ethan Martel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm Ethan. I currently am coming from a hobby of tropical freshwater tanks and started a new go at a Reef tank. Originally I started with a 5.5 gallon nano set up, live sand, live rock, a few hermit crabs and a blue damsel. I had this tank for about 2 months when I decided it was time to upgrade to my 29 gallon.

So I've been running this tank for about two weeks. I added bio spira right away while ive been monitoring the levels and everything seems stable. I recently just added 11 hermit crabs as well as 3 turbo snails. I have live sand and live rock from my old tank that has been cycling for the two weeks, as well as some new dry rock that I added since I needed much more. The levels all seem good I have lots of testing equipment and everyone seems happy.

The damsel I took back to the LFS because it was straight up cold blooded and aggressive. As with anything fish related, especially salt water I know not to rush and to be cautious about everything.

Now on to my question, when should I consider adding fish and what kinds do you recommend? It's 29 gallons, with LED over head lights. I think my first sign is going to be that purple algae, but also just steady parameters. I also plan on sharing pictures soon.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

As soon as your cycle completes (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and low level nitrate) you can add your first fish :)
Hey I'm Ethan. I currently am coming from a hobby of tropical freshwater tanks and started a new go at a Reef tank. Originally I started with a 5.5 gallon nano set up, live sand, live rock, a few hermit crabs and a blue damsel. I had this tank for about 2 months when I decided it was time to upgrade to my 29 gallon.

So I've been running this tank for about two weeks. I added bio spira right away while ive been monitoring the levels and everything seems stable. I recently just added 11 hermit crabs as well as 3 turbo snails. I have live sand and live rock from my old tank that has been cycling for the two weeks, as well as some new dry rock that I added since I needed much more. The levels all seem good I have lots of testing equipment and everyone seems happy.

The damsel I took back to the LFS because it was straight up cold blooded and aggressive. As with anything fish related, especially salt water I know not to rush and to be cautious about everything.

Now on to my question, when should I consider adding fish and what kinds do you recommend? It's 29 gallons, with LED over head lights. I think my first sign is going to be that purple algae, but also just steady parameters. I also plan on sharing pictures soon.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assume you have test kits, yes? When you get no detectible ammonia consistently. The algae you're referring to is called coralline algae, and yes, it's a good visual indicator that your system is maturing. Many use as an indicator that the tank may now support corals. Stick with the smaller beginner types of fish (as you already know, stay away from damsels), there are a good variety that would be suited to a tank your size. Also, don't get enamored with tangs...your tank is too small. Think blennies, gobies, basslets, chromis...

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D

My first fish, as well as the first fish for many others, was a clownfish! You can also try watchman gobies, a small combtooth blenny (bi-color and tailspot are two good species), royal grammas, pearly jawfish (if you have 2-3 inches of sand and a lid), firefish, blue and green chromis, cardinalfish, pygmy filefish, etc.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and thanks for signing up.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the family!

OP
OP
E

Ethan Martel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have test kits, yes? When you get no detectible ammonia consistently. The algae you're referring to is called coralline algae, and yes, it's a good visual indicator that your system is maturing. Many use as an indicator that the tank may now support corals. Stick with the smaller beginner types of fish (as you already know, stay away from damsels), there are a good variety that would be suited to a tank your size. Also, don't get enamored with tangs...your tank is too small. Think blennies, gobies, basslets, chromis...
Haha definitely. As much as I want a tang I know it wouldn't be good for anybody. I'm kinda leaning towards a fire fish goby, a royal Gramma and some of the black ocellaris clowns. I read they are more if the peaceful ones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back