Hey, I'm new here

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Wanted to introduce myself and give a little background on my tank and experience.

My wife and I got into saltwater tanks just about 2 years ago. Started with a 75 gallon tank that she later upgraded to a 150 after about 9 months and I moved the 75 downstairs to our basement and made myself a tank just about a year ago.
I am running a canister filter with a hob refugium. I have a couple 18" CurrentUSA lights on the tank with an old Kessil 160 blue for a refugium light(it's an older one that we bought used when we first started out and the colors are off so it's more white than blue now) I have a couple SICCE powerheads.

I went with Caribsea Hawaiian Black sand to make things a bit different, between that and the black vinyl on the back of the tank has made fish selection a little more interesting.
Current Stock List:
Mocha Ocellaris Clown
Ocellaris Clown
Green Chromis
Royal Gramma
Flametail Blenny
5 Bar Gobies
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Currently debating about an angelfish or tang for this tank but haven't nailed down a decision just yet.

As far as corals go I have found that these CurrentUSA lights are not the best when it comes to growing corals. I read that a few times when I was researching them but decided to go with them anyway for the budget factor of not wanting to spend a bunch of equipment considering we were fresh off the setup of my wife's 150.

I have a decent selection of mushrooms and just put in a rock covered in GSP out of my wife's tank. I have a devil's hand leather as well.
The mushrooms seem to grow pretty good in this tank as long as they're discos or rhodactis. Ricordeas do not seem to hang in there for some strange reason.

Thanks for taking the time to read and look forward to browsing around and trying to learn a thing or two from those who have seen a thing or two.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! FYI, DO NOT use a magnetic glass cleaner with the black sand. That is volcanic ash from Hawaii, and may have iron in it. Stick a magnet in the sand to know for sure. It will likely scratch your glass if a magfloat, etc is used. I use a hand scraper for mine.
gif_1690809774163.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back