Hey! Water scientist getting into reefing

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to read the water chemistry science battles. It’ll be like Randyzilla vs. Mecharandyzilla.

EAD93486-78C9-4C89-8AA2-135E5197497D.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a neat aspect of this hobby that directly ties into wastewater management:

stuck cycles...the claim that aquarium X can't regulate its free ammonia post-cycle and with nothing dead or dying in the tank, and with no ammonia input from sourcewater. The bacteria are dead, dormant, inactive is the claim when any test kit says some mild free ammonia exists and all fish act normally, no cloudy water, no dieoff of small motile organisms etc.

whether or not thats true, or has ever happened even once in the history of massive surface area/ high flow aquariums, is up for debate :)

we want wastewater science folks

wanted you to notice over time how many posts seem to indicate problems in people's active surface area ability. perfect running reefs, breathing, fluid, not accumulated, fast flow and constantly doubted in ability to regulate ammonia toxicity.

reading .25 ammonia on someone's kit. = puts entire microbiology of the aquarium in doubt. we need refs.

wastewater plant: measures ammonia conversion with calibrated probes.

entire hobby: uses a kit where slight green could be slight yellow depending on eyesight, kitchen light hue, reagent expired, et al

Last edited:

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coral.gif

Why hello! Welcome to R2R. This hobby will definitely test your working knowledge of water chemistry! You'll find so many helpful people here at R2R...glad you joined.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R!

Longtime lurker here so thought it was time to join.

Recently finished my PhD in environmental engineering with research focused on water treatment and water quality, and I have always wanted a reef tank. I am very into all the different treatment/reactors that goes along with reef tanks (and aquariums in general) and am constantly learning new things from the innovations in this great hobby.

I started setting up my tank in earnest this January and have been slowly adding livestock. I have a 55 gal with 20 gal sump DIY-style. Currently have two ocellaris, yellow tang, six hermits (3 scarlet, 3 red/blue leg), two turbos, two astrea, one nassarius. No corals yet but coming soon. Can't afford super nice equipment coming off a graduate student lifestyle, but plan on upgrading slowly as needed when adding livestock/corals.

Measuring water quality and then obsessing over the implications is my jam. This hobby is awesome!
Welcome to R2R

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread. 1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby. 2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank. 3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As has been said many times before, the aquarium hobby is not about maintaining fish and corals, it's about maintaining water! It's apparent that you have a big advantage over most of us with your degree!! Welcome to the best forum around!!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome can’t wait to see all read some good methods and research on water quality

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back