HHH's 65 mixed reef

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got all worried about the whole going downhill posts then saw how you got to bounce back and have the tank go into over drive. love the build!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a few new pics. Glad Irma stayed away from us.
S0Z51bk.jpg
dCYarP8.jpg
Bl4gpZN.jpg
qpuRj4i.jpg
OZ49HJ4.jpg
10fAJNS.jpg
IJSKTCB.jpg
nmLgQFs.jpg
6UixJ0S.jpg
rxjxgFM.jpg
QoLWrzu.jpg
RsD8yUB.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6098.JPG
Got 5 new frags from death row today. Looks like a leptastrea, a favia, an echinata, a war coral and maybe a chalice. Hopefully I'm a couple of months they will be right as rain.

Takes forever but I love bringing corals back from the brink.
Pic sucks but whatever.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowered my lights to 60b 40w to see what effect that has on coloration. I have lowered my nutrients and feel like I should lower the Lights a bit. A couple acros could have better color. Will try it for 2 weeks or so.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has taken a turn for the worse. Things just started looking like crap whether I had low nutrients or high. I have stopped everything- dosing, gfo, carbon dosing, etc etc. and am going back to what I used to do when my tank was awesome and that is drip kalk and dont tinker. I spiked my alk and will likely lose at least half of my sps. I am not even going to try and interject to save them. I am just going to ride out my tank crash and try to do nothing but keep my alk stable for the next couple of months and see what happens.

I made a more detailed thread about the downward spiral and dont really want to go into it all here.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has taken a turn for the worse. Things just started looking like crap whether I had low nutrients or high. I have stopped everything- dosing, gfo, carbon dosing, etc etc. and am going back to what I used to do when my tank was awesome and that is drip kalk and dont tinker. I spiked my alk and will likely lose at least half of my sps. I am not even going to try and interject to save them. I am just going to ride out my tank crash and try to do nothing but keep my alk stable for the next couple of months and see what happens.

I made a more detailed thread about the downward spiral and dont really want to go into it all here.
I'm so sorry to hear about that :( I went through a rough spot recently when I tried changing from regular Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals. Things are kind of getting back to normal, but I did lose a few corals. Now, I've gotten ich in my tank even though I didn't add any fish in the last nine months. Apparently, it came in either with some coral frags or with some new caulerpa I put in the sump. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the tank issues. What are the PO4 and NO3 levels?

I'd do a series of water changes to bring things back.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I havent updated in a while because my tank is just kind of running and to be honest, the crash kind of took the wind out of my sails. 90% of my acros and montis stn. There is still flesh on them so I left most of them. I removed my large birdsnest colony. It was looking horrible plus it was too big for the tank. I also pulled out my flower petal cap that had died. It was about 10" across.

Not really sure how it is going to end up but I for sure lost my acro craze and think i will focus more on colorful zoas and LPS with sprinkles of SPS and whatever survives. I cant go through this again so I will stick to easier corals. I am sticking to kalk dripping and skimming and my algae scrubber for nutrient export. I dont plan to even test for phosphates or nitrates like I did for the first year and a half of running my tank.

I just hope that my failure was from me messing with nutrient export too quickly and my alk fluctuations that did this and not some external factor that I dont know about yet. Send some vibes my way that the tank runs smooth and gets back to being pretty.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I havent updated in a while because my tank is just kind of running and to be honest, the crash kind of took the wind out of my sails. 90% of my acros and montis stn. There is still flesh on them so I left most of them. I removed my large birdsnest colony. It was looking horrible plus it was too big for the tank. I also pulled out my flower petal cap that had died. It was about 10" across.

Not really sure how it is going to end up but I for sure lost my acro craze and think i will focus more on colorful zoas and LPS with sprinkles of SPS and whatever survives. I cant go through this again so I will stick to easier corals. I am sticking to kalk dripping and skimming and my algae scrubber for nutrient export. I dont plan to even test for phosphates or nitrates like I did for the first year and a half of running my tank.

I just hope that my failure was from me messing with nutrient export too quickly and my alk fluctuations that did this and not some external factor that I dont know about yet. Send some vibes my way that the tank runs smooth and gets back to being pretty.
Good vibes sent your way, man!

I have a nice green montipora cap frag about four inches across that has you name on it, if you want it :) I also still have some green acro frags that have survived a lot, so they're pretty hardy. I've also got a tiny branching hammer frag that I saved when it was only about as big as a pencil lead...if it can survive me fragging it and tripling in size, it's a survivor. All yours...just let me know if you're interested.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That acro you gave me I think might make it. It has healed where I clipped the dead tips. I seriously might take you up on the others once I feel comfortable that things are going to be ok. I really appreciate the kindness!

Your bright orange yumas are everywhere lol. Glad they are so bright and pretty.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back