HHH's 65 mixed reef

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing no3 will naturally lower po4 a bit, but honestly I would just go with a series of water changes to start.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing no3 will naturally lower po4 a bit, but honestly I would just go with a series of water changes to start.
I can do that. The tissue loss on the BN could just be from flow/light and I just havent noticed it in a while. I will do some WC and see if anything improves.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people do those major 100% water changes and have all claimed to see zero problems from it. I myself can't make that much water at once, so if you're in my position I'd say to do a series 25% water changes until you've changed out 125 - 150% of the water. That's wasteful in a way... But I think doing BIG water changes every 6 months to a year is like a big reset button for your reef, and seems to keep things happy, as well as keeping out w/e things have been accumulating in your water.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a couple 10 gallon wc. Got my Hanna checker and at least figured out where my levels are. Have started a small dose of the diy nopox and will see what happens. May run a tiny bit of Gfo to bring phopshpates down very slowly. Have also cut back on my feeding.

Po4 .58
N03 40

Here are some pics. Doesn't look too bad but my caps and rainbow monti are browning and a couple acros don't like like they should.
8sIqh6P.jpg

4UhxEz7.jpg
J1DpBGR.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hooked up GFO reactor, added a bigger pump to my ATS since it was too loud on the GFO reactor so now my scrubber has wayyy more flow. Also positioned my light a bit better for my scrubber. I am hoping this will all make a good dent in the phosphates.

I also made a new batch of reef food over the weekend.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Nutrients in and of themselves aren't necessarily a bad thing. Honestly, your nutrients can come down, sure, but your corals look happy with them as they are.

I agree for the most part. I do have some browning going on of mostly montis and a couple acros that i would like to fix. I at least want to come down some.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree for the most part. I do have some browning going on of mostly montis and a couple acros that i would like to fix. I at least want to come down some.

Browning, to me, seems to not necessarily be just about the nutrients -- it's the nutrients in relation to their lighting. So many times, I've seen tanks with great colors, high nutrients, and high lighting. Other times I see brown acros, lower nutrient tanks, and lower level lighting or lighting that's just toned down a lot.

The more food you have in the water, the better the corals can utilize high light.

I'm not suggesting you run this experiment, but there's a chance bumping up your light alone could fix your browning.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hhh -- How do you like BB tanks? I've been kicking around the idea of going BB but I don't have the guts to just do it lol

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hhh -- How do you like BB tanks? I've been kicking around the idea of going BB but I don't have the guts to just do it lol
I wouldnt have it any other way. Can have high flow and it easy to clean when doing a water change. My Kole eats basically all detritus and then poops out a fine mist that never resettles so its always pretty clean. Coralline ends up covering the bottom after a while too which is nice. You can grow various encrusters on the bottom as well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good! Very nice collection you have going!!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got my Phosphates down without bottoming them out altogether and have not lost anything so far. I did have my WWC Madman Austera STN over a couple weeks so I broke it up last night and mounted 2 frags to plugs and one to the back wall to see if any will survive. Also dipped it to make sure nothing was on it and it was clean.

I have added a few tiny frags. Some zoas, a chalice and a favia. My LFS has a "death row" like section with frags in horrible shape for 4.95 and I cannot help but buying them if I see any potential. Its a good way to scratch my itch when the reef budget is thin. I think one of the 4.95 zoas are LA Lakers. Only 3 polyps but still.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since bringing my nutrients down P04 = .03 and Nitrates are still between 10-25, my Sniper's Blue acros has gotten super vibrant, my red planet is for sure getting some green mixed back in and growth is picking up across the board. I will try and take some good photos soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back