HHH's 65 mixed reef

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great. All healthy and happy.

I was wondering about your Finger Leather. Do you have issues with it dropping branches and spreading to other parts of the tank?
In a previous tank I had this coral. It would spread by dropping off branches that would carry to other parts of the tank. They would reappear in very difficult places.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking great. All healthy and happy.

I was wondering about your Finger Leather. Do you have issues with it dropping branches and spreading to other parts of the tank?
In a previous tank I had this coral. It would spread by dropping off branches that would carry to other parts of the tank. They would reappear in very difficult places.
Yeah as soon as I see one about to drop I take scissors and cut the whole thing down to the base and throw it out. It always regrows.

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as soon as I see one about to drop I take scissors and cut the whole thing down to the base and throw it out. It always regrows.

Lol! I used to put them on plugs and give them to friends and the LFS. I ended up putting them in the flower beds. Same experience with pumping Xenias. You have to watch them.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my wife is going to get me a clam for fathers day. I am hoping my lfs can order a decent blue maxima that doesnt break the bank. Have always wanted to try a clam.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone is getting to be quite large. My clowns have also started laying again. First time since the move.
L6YoH36.jpg

kevlow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals look great but I especially like the two millies. Also the first three pics are beautiful pieces. I look forward to future updates.

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. For a smaller system your SPS are doing very well. Please detail what you feed the Corals and Fish and how often? Thanks.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. For a smaller system your SPS are doing very well. Please detail what you feed the Corals and Fish and how often? Thanks.
Thank you! I feed LRS Reef Frenzy twice a day and a pinch of pellets NLS Algaemax 2-4 times a day. Here and there I feed frozen cyclops.

I think my wife is going to get me a clam for fathers day. I am hoping my lfs can order a decent blue maxima that doesnt break the bank. Have always wanted to try a clam.
Bailed on the clam and decided to get a small Battlebox instead! Super excited about that!

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I dont test nitrates or phosphates but was curious what they might be so I took some water to my lfs. My Nitrates were between 2-5 but my Phosphates were above 1.0! They tested twice. I am going to get a kit at lunch today to check and see what I get.

My question becomes if it is that high but my tank looks good, do I do anything at all about it?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I dont test nitrates or phosphates but was curious what they might be so I took some water to my lfs. My Nitrates were between 2-5 but my Phosphates were above 1.0! They tested twice. I am going to get a kit at lunch today to check and see what I get.

My question becomes if it is that high but my tank looks good, do I do anything at all about it?
My understanding is that consistency, not specific numbers, is the major key. While low phosphates are normally the best range for most tanks, there are also many documented tanks that are healthy and stellar with phosphates over 1.0 ppm.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, phosphates aside, I got my first ever battlebox in today. I have never done this before and I was absolutely blown away with what he picked and the quality of the packaging and the frags.

I got:
Honeycomb
Snipers Blue
Reef Ready Grape Juice
Poletti Yellow Tip
Forest Fire Digi

Cant wait to grow these out!
v50kMBi.jpg
vSm9HT2.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these growth pics. It always seems like nothing is going on but I look at this and see that things are indeed growing some and coloration on the frags is looking good.

March 8th on top. This is the day I got the tank set back up after moving. Yesterday on the bottom.
Fjzktt2.jpg

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are slipping a bit in my reef. I noticed some STN in the birdsnest colony and there is some light and slow bleaching going on with my monti caps. I believe it has to do with my Nitrate being so low and my phosphates being so high. I ordered a nitrate test kit and will see if I get the same results as my lfs.

I dont really know what to do. If i get my test kit and it shows undetectable nitrates, I guess I dose nitrates a little to see if that helps. Do I get a reactor and start running GFO to bring the phosphates down too? Do I wait this out and do nothing? I really dont want to start losing corals.

I made it so long without any issues and now that they are popping up it is no fun.

You think the marine pure block I have in my sump could be contributing to this at all?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back