Hi Barium Concerning?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nbd13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nbd13

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2018
Messages
652
Reaction score
317
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

just got my ICP test back. Barium is off the charts. Only thing in dosing is NOPOx and then using the Triton supplements 1-3b for maintaining Alk, Mg and Ca.

Barium is 108 normal is 10. Any thoughts?

thanks

19C9DF50-04FB-4D3B-95DE-5EF2BDB08B90.png
 
I do not consider barium a toxicity concern at the low levels encountered in reef tanks. :)
 
Just got my ICP test back and Ba is the only high concern but I guess its not a concern.
My tank is pretty much FOWLR but I do want my fish happy.

What causes the high level of Barium?
 

Attachments

I'm not sure where it would come from. It looks a lot like calcium, so may be a contaminant in some types of calcium additives.

It's not widely used in things most people have that I know of.

It wasn't elevated in my test, so it is not elevated in the salt mix I used (normal IO) or kalkwasser from BRS.
 
There was a thread some time back. Estimated this to be from a bad impeller. Could check those first.
 
True, some pumps, such as the Little Giant3-MDX 0.04 HP Non-Submersible Magnetic Drive Pump have barium ferrite encased in plastic. Whether that's a typical source or not, I do not know.

FWIW, elevated barium is fairly common.
 
Hi Nbd13,

here, you can find my thread related to high Ba.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/icp-results-extremely-high-barium.856006/
Actually mine was a lot higher than yours. I exchanged powerheads and also switched to RS salt. I dont know the Ba value right now and havent done ICP for several months, but the most important thing is that I havent observed any detrimental effects to my inhabitants and even my acro frags are doing really well. So I suggest to keep an eye on it and dont panic.:)
 
True, some pumps, such as the Little Giant3-MDX 0.04 HP Non-Submersible Magnetic Drive Pump have barium ferrite encased in plastic. Whether that's a typical source or not, I do not know.

FWIW, elevated barium is fairly common.
My Barium is at 4.27 ug/l. Should I be concerned for my acros?
 
My Barium is at 4.27 ug/l. Should I be concerned for my acros?

That value is not elevated, and is actually below the value that some companies recommend,,but I don’t consider barium to be needed and I think it is fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new