Hi fin red banded goby pair + pistol shrimp acclimation/introduction questions

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a hi-fin red banded goby pair with a pistol shrimp from liveaquaria. They should arrive in the next hour or so.
I plan on floating the gobies and drip acclimating the pistol shrimp. Is there a specific order in which these guys should be introduced?
Is float acclimation ok for the gobies or should they be dripped as well?
Should the three be acclimated together?

Ok, so to answer my own questions:
1) Intro order unimportant
2) Float acclimation is fine for the gobies
3) Acclimate shrimp and gobies seperately.

Last edited:

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two pairs of goby shrimp, added at different times. this is how i did it when the pair came from 2 separate systems: dripped both goby and shrimp separately, after about 45 mins and 2 container fulls of drip, i placed them together in one container and dripped for another 30ish minutes. i wanted them both to be aware of each other. then i prepared the rock/sand area i wanted them to dig into by creating a little pocket at the rock/sand line. then i netted both out, closed the net, and opened the net releasing them into that rock/sand pocket. both pairs have since stayed in the spots i prepared for them. in the past, it has taken forever for them to find each other, and you never know where they might burrow, so i gave up leaving it up to chance.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my two yashir goby pairs at the same time with two pistol shrimp on march second

last Sunday I believe I found them after I had not seen them since introduction (I thought they were dead to be honest and kinda scared me when he came out to eat) and to be honest since then they have been digging holes everywhere little punks

I drop acclimated them for about 45 mins together and well good luck getting them to the sand together.

They will find each other tho

I just missed the other goby in this pic but they will find each other may take over a month of not seeing them and forgetting u even added them but it will happen
IMG_2181.JPG
IMG_2179.JPG

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dripped both goby and shrimp separately, after about 45 mins and 2 container fulls of drip, i placed them together in one container and dripped for another 30ish minutes.
Thanks. In hindsight, this is what I should have done.
The pistol seems to have made his home inside the highest rock in the tank, he hasn't been shy about showing himself or taking food. The gobies are under a small rock at the other end of the tank. They aren't taking food yet, which I assume is fairly normal.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will find each other. Mine started out on the other side of the tank and ended up finding each other.
Yeah I keep waiting for the tell tale sign: mounds of sand around their burrow. No joy yet, I will be sure to update when they move in together.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol and gobies still havent found each other 6 days in.
Feeding the gobies is incredibly difficult as they are super skittish and flee at the sight of any movement. They wont accept food once it hits the sand and they flee when the turkey baster or tongs enter the water. I seriously hope they're getting enough food.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to feel the same way. I remember when my goby and pistol shrimp actually found each other, the pistol trapped my goby in its den and closed the way out with sand. I didn't see the goby for over a week and was worried it wasn't going to eat. At one point I even tried to dig a hole for it to exit but it didn't work. After about another week I seen them both together digging sand at the entrance of its cave. They are still together to today after almost a year I would say.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back