Hi from Zurich; Introducing my FM Reef Tank

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous. We operate opposite systems. I run high nutrient systems that focus on filter feeders.

@Olys_Tank
I have been reefing for 50 years. I don’t get impressed easily. Big time impressive. Kudos to you.

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some pictures... one year ago...

ed1a60f8-5950-4348-be47-ddf3ee5aa05c.jpg
c5e0f9ca-b12f-4eae-b296-aa00c8ebe061.jpg
37594159-c862-4f87-8707-88cc8e3416ac.jpg
464143b0-e3a4-4a09-af80-f7e2da1f2fab.jpg
9cfc258f-fc7f-4a69-bd5a-fc85b357f703.jpg
7b397970-40b9-4fe2-919e-1a6ff2518d40.jpg
0aa9a001-21ea-4804-a3fc-84de43b2e64d.jpg
f30cfa6c-1083-4bd5-a989-b5916f067736.jpg

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank Oly! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the colors and that you have (well it seems) a clear back (not painted black). I especially love the Enzmann (is it an Enzmann?) - You have grown these beautiful big colonies and the mix of colors is just spectacular. Really impressed and love that you have a few shaggy Millis. Thanks for sharing and for providing such great details about your technique / equipment etc. Really halps someone like me planning out their first build ;)

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank Oly! Thanks so much for sharing. I love the colors and that you have (well it seems) a clear back (not painted black). I especially love the Enzmann (is it an Enzmann?) - You have grown these beautiful big colonies and the mix of colors is just spectacular. Really impressed and love that you have a few shaggy Millis. Thanks for sharing and for providing such great details about your technique / equipment etc. Really halps someone like me planning out their first build ;)
Hi Sunny Goold
Thank you very much for your words.
Yes it is the classic Enzmann. I had to cut it a few month ago, it became too big for everything in the tank. None in the tank grows faster than the Enzmann.
The millis are my favorites, love the polyp extension.
If ever you have a question.. just ask :)

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sunny Goold
Thank you very much for your words.
Yes it is the classic Enzmann. I had to cut it a few month ago, it became too big for everything in the tank. None in the tank grows faster than the Enzmann.
The millis are my favorites, love the polyp extension.
If ever you have a question.. just ask :)
Thanks - yeah in America they have the Green slimmer or Bali Slimmer but from what I can work out it is a different species and I couldn't really find out if it grows like a true stag - so now I know and thanks for telling me it grows fast. I've just been checking out your vids on Youtube and Insta - amazing stuff. Yeah Millis are one of my favourites too and you have grown impressive colors. It also seems you have a lot of blue star polyps - a similar strategy to Rico - I love it. I'm in Czech and I feel like I am going to have to be driving around Europe to get corals once my tank is up. I will get a similar size tank but a little shallower - 180 x 60 x 50 high. Thanks again ;)

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - yeah in America they have the Green slimmer or Bali Slimmer but from what I can work out it is a different species and I couldn't really find out if it grows like a true stag - so now I know and thanks for telling me it grows fast. I've just been checking out your vids on Youtube and Insta - amazing stuff. Yeah Millis are one of my favourites too and you have grown impressive colors. It also seems you have a lot of blue star polyps - a similar strategy to Rico - I love it. I'm in Czech and I feel like I am going to have to be driving around Europe to get corals once my tank is up. I will get a similar size tank but a little shallower - 180 x 60 x 50 high. Thanks again ;)
180 x 60 x 50 cm are exactly my tanks measurements.
Believe me, you don't have to drive around Europe to get special corals with special colours. None of the corals I bought, kept it's colour... mostly they changed or started to get more colourful after a month when they started to grow in the tank. You can buy the corals from your local store and try to become the colours... it's all about the supplying system and the stability. If that system you choose doesn't work perfectly, you can get corals from New Zeeland and it will not show any colour...

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 x 60 x 50 cm are exactly my tanks measurements.
Believe me, you don't have to drive around Europe to get special corals with special colours. None of the corals I bought, kept it's colour... mostly they changed or started to get more colourful after a month when they started to grow in the tank. You can buy the corals from your local store and try to become the colours... it's all about the supplying system and the stability. If that system you choose doesn't work perfectly, you can get corals from New Zeeland and it will not show any colour...
Well I am from Australia LOL. It will take me a long time before I start adding SPS anyhow and yeah I am thinking stability first and slowly building up. Yep - I am sure it is not necessary to travel too far but it's really a 2 hour drive for me and there are some nice stores not much further. That being said I would like to visit Fauna Marin (Stuttgart is one of my favourite places anyhow).

Now I can see you have those measurements I love those dimensions even more. I was worried it may be slightly too shallow. Plus I am ordering a similar metal frame as a stand and that stand will be 1m high. I did get a 2nd hand 150x50x60 but when I realised it wasn't perfect and the stand is terrible I decided pretty quickly it would be smarter to get the dimensions I really want and I can use the 150 as a sump ;) Thanks again.

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Fauna Marin mostly has very nice coloured SPS and LPS. I have been there 3 times ... but as Switzerland is not e EU country, it is not allowed to buy these corals and bring them into switzerland :-(

it is not to shallow; it has the positive effect that more light reaches the ground of the tank :)

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please do a video review of your sump and equipment? Also feeding cycle, lighting/water changes/etc

Thanks!
Hi Mindwalkr

I hope I do not missunderstand your request.
I don't know if that makes sence to put that in a video, because my sump doesn't have any real system. It's just a 60 cm tank with the equipment as mentioned inside; no filtration chambers.
I don't know if it makes sence to make a video of feeding cycles??? Ligting??? Water Changes???
Feeding Cycle: the automatic feeders feed every hour when I am not at home, the food falls into the water, the fish eat it... nothing special
Lighting: The bulbs turn on at 11; and off at 21:30... nothing special, nothing happens
Water changes: preparation of 60 liter osmosis water mixed with FM Salt. Take out the water from the tank; put the new water inside the tank... nothing special

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Olys_Tank Not necessarily a video. I was curious about your filtration system and maintenance cycle. I am still planning my first marine tank, so knowing the details of someone as successful as you is very helpful.

Example: you auto-feed every hour while not there. Most people's tanks don't do that from what I have read, so that is the first interesting piece of information.

The sump question was about filtration. ie: Nyos 120 skimmer seems a little small for the heavy feeding (spec is 'up to 500 liters') ? You have auto-filter-roll + carbon reactor, but no mention of any other things, eg: GFO/UV/Zeovit/Refugium/Nutrient export/etc ?

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Olys_Tank Not necessarily a video. I was curious about your filtration system and maintenance cycle.
Example: you auto-feed every hour. Most people's tanks don't do that from what I have read, so that is the first interesting piece of information.

The sump question was about filtration. ie: Nyos 120 skimmer seems a little small for the heavy feeding? You have auto-filter-roll + carbon reactor, but no mention of any other things, eg: GFO/UV/Zeovit/Refugium/Nutrient export/etc ?
You are right!
Some things are just normal for me, but not for others.
But in general: My tank works in a very simple way. The skimmer is small, but it works with it. I don't see any negative results because of a to small skimmer. the auto filter roll is bad, I will remove it.
I didn't mention any other things, because there is no GFO, no UV, no Zeovit, no Refugium, no other nutrient export... ;)

Sunny Goold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mindwalkr

Feeding Cycle: the automatic feeders feed every hour when I am not at home, the food falls into the water, the fish eat it... nothing special
You feed every hour? Like 6 times a day? Cool - that seems like great info. And is that just fish food or is there something there for the coral? ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back