hi there! help me save some fish

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone is having a good evening :)
I found a 60 gallon breeder that only had fish on facebook. I almost bought one new 2 weeks ago because i love the footprint, I'm worried I re-cycled the tank in the move since the rock didn't have any water for about an hour and a half to two hours.
The tank came with a yellow tang, a lemon peel angel, 2 clowns and a foxface. I think that's too many fish. It had a cleaner shrimp too, which died in the move.
I'm worried about killing them in the tank so I have them in a cooler with an air stone, a heater and a small pump in the meantime. Should i put them in the tank? I matched the salinty perfectly

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39897391-D83A-4AB2-94D1-A780206D98AF.jpeg

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 60 gallon breeder that only had fish on facebook. I almost bought one new 2 weeks ago because i love the footprint, I'm worried I re-cycled the tank in the move since the rock didn't have any water for about an hour and a half to two hours.
The tank came with a yellow tang, a lemon peel angel, 2 clowns and a foxface. I think that's too many fish. It had a cleaner shrimp too, which died in the move.
I'm worried about killing them in the tank so I have them in a cooler with an air stone, a heater and a small pump in the meantime. Should i put them in the tank? I matched the salinty perfectly

First off,
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Now, on to your questions...

The rock sitting out for a couple hours is fine. Your tank will skip-cycle nicely.

You don't have "too many" fish, but you DO have fish that will outgrow a 60g. I suggest you begin forming a gameplan for that asap. Small fish become big fish faster than you expect.

Finally, go ahead and get them into the tank. Follow whatever acclimation process you choose. They will be much happier and more likely to survive once they have room to move again. I suspect they are pretty unhappy inside a cooler.

Good luck

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sufficient for now but the yellow tang may require more future room

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! The de-nitrifying bacteria in the rock are found mainly in the tiny pores. Because of this, rock can spend up to about 12 hours out of the water without dying. You don't have too many fish, (you could probably add 1-2 more if you wanted to) but the yellow tang and the fox face are both in their very minimum tank size, so keep an eye out for aggression. I'd put them in the tank.

Looking Coral Reef GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was late when I wrote that and I forgot the most important detail
the tank was covered in algae, so on top of being exposed to air for a couple hours, I hosed it with freshwater and scrubbed with a brush. Probably submitted each rock to about 15-20 seconds of hosing. Do you guys think I should still add my fish?
I really really appreciate all the welcomes. I can’t wait to fully jump in!

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK what you paid for the setup, but I can tell you that a juvenile Yellow Tang (read: size of a quarter or 50 cent piece) runs anywhere from $150-$250 depending where you get it.
I paid $400. I got the tank and stand, Some lights that are worth twice what I paid, all these fish, probably 80 lbs of live rock (covered in fluffy green algae I removed,) a sump, a reactor, a RODI unit, wave maker, like 5 controllers (I don’t know what they do besides the pump and water level alarm) and so many dry goods.
I personally do not buy used fish equipment historically but I aimply could not pass this up :)

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!! :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back